Topic: Cleaning the Engine

carguy    -- 05-18-2020 @ 7:19 AM
  I'm looking for suggestions on how to clean up my engine so that it looks like the fresh one in the photo. Thanks.

Bill Brown
'34 Cabriolet

1934 Ford    -- 05-18-2020 @ 10:43 AM
  The best time to do it when it's out of the car and you can clean and paint the parts like the block and water pumps separately.
Auto parts stores selll Aluma-Bright cleaner for truck tanks that will help with the heads and intake manifold, but you still need to wire wheel the head nuts and clear them. I think i'd just keep the hood closed until you need major engine work and clean it then.
If it runs and drives well, enjoy it like it is.

1934 Ford's since 1972

This message was edited by 1934 Ford on 5-18-20 @ 10:45 AM

51woodie    -- 05-18-2020 @ 4:00 PM
  34Ford is right, it is easier to paint an engine out of the vehicle. With my '46, the engine was running great, so no need to remove it. Not being familiar with what the PO had/hadn't done, I pulled the carb, fuel pump and stand, intake manifold, distrib. and wires, generator, fan, rad, water pumps.... etc.. I covered all the holes that dirt/cleaner shouldn't get into, and with a large catch pan under the engine, scrubbed the engine and engine compartment down with Simple Green. Rinsed with hot soapy water, wire brushed, washed again, then wiped every thing down twice with grease and wax remover. I masked the firewall fender wells etc. I went to a local hydraulic shop and bought enough plugs and caps to cover the head nuts and spark plug holes so I didn't get paint on/in them. The caps, fit nicely over the nuts, and the flange on the cap covered the washers. I cleaned and painted all the fender wells and the parts I took off, using the same cleaning process, then reinstalled. I know the plug wire conduit are supposed to be black, but I thought...., hey, at my age, why not live on the edge!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13842