Topic: 40 Trans, stop shifting into thrid

SweeperSean    -- 05-16-2020 @ 7:17 AM
  the trans in my 40 was rebuilt before I purchased the car. I put about 80 miles on the car over a few months and the car shifted fine. It stopped shifting into third. I thought it might be the linkage, but when I put it up on the lift, all was tight. I removed the linkage and had the same result.

Any thoughts before I drop the trans?

Thanks

cliftford    -- 05-16-2020 @ 8:40 AM
  Pull the side cover and see what is going on, especially the syncros.

SweeperSean    -- 05-16-2020 @ 9:59 AM
  Thanks. Im going to try that today. not sure what to look for. I found some cutaway drawings. Gotta start somewhere I guess.

51woodie    -- 05-16-2020 @ 10:17 AM
  This is a silly question, but is/was there any trans oil in the transmission? When I worked at a dealership, one of the mechanics rebuilt a three speed trans, installed it and sent the car out the door. The car was back two days later with a ruined transmission. He forgot to put oil in it.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-17-2020 @ 7:45 AM
  HI 40trans, not shifting into third
I am with Cliftford on this,
check the syncro,s
3rd locks the input and out put shafts, together to get 3rd,
syncro ring might have burrs and have gotten damage,
I think by using a file [ very carefully ] you can remove the burrs, I did this to a old jeep and it worked,
also check the pin in the shifting forks, maybe loose or have moved, slide on shaft. from being broken
anything is worth a try,
hope this helps, 37Ragtopman MAINE
LET US KNOW how you MADE out,
drain the oil in a clean container and use a magnet, to see if any chips or filing in the oil, and if brass or steel,

cliftford    -- 05-17-2020 @ 9:34 AM
  Does it shift any different from low to 2nd? If not I'd assume the clutch adjustment is ok. With the cover off see if the 2nd- high lever has any drag or resistance. If so I would check the detent springs, balls and notches. also check wear on forks. If you have or can borrow another cover, slip it on and see if it makes a difference. All this assumes that your syncros check out ok.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13832