Topic: Floaters for mechanical brakes

Tim I    -- 06-13-2010 @ 10:04 AM
  I'm getting ready to tear into the brakes of my recently-acquired '38 Coupe, and have been advised that modifying the brakes with adjusters that let the shoes float is the way to go. Mac's Auto Parts seems to offer two types. One is is called an energizer kit and seems to include the adjusters only. The other is a kit by Flathead Ted, which in the pictures, looks completely different than the other. Any opinions on which is the better way to go?

Also, will I need a puller to remove the brake drums?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Tim
Denver, CO

ford38v8    -- 06-13-2010 @ 12:26 PM
  Ted, you got good advice regarding floaters. The kit sold by Flathead Ted, however, is not for your '38. I haven't seen the Mac's floaters, so I cannot comment on the quality, but I obtained a set of unknown origin from a swap meet years ago, and have been very pleased with their performance ever since. Floaters have been made by many different companies, and are actually so simple that I'm sure some guys have made their own. They were originally marketed back in the day that our cars were new!

Yes, you will need a drum puller for the rear drums. There are also a number of different pullers available, but one and one only stands out above the rest, the original Ford tool made by KRW. This puller (reproduced) can be found advertised in the V8 Times. It is not advised to use any other method to pull your rear drums.

When you get your floaters, get back to us here on the forum and we'll guide you through the installation and adjustment of your brakes.

Alan

Tim I    -- 06-13-2010 @ 7:39 PM
  Of course I got good advice, Alan. I got it from you!

Flathead Ted's website doesn't list his kit for anything after 1936, but Mac's lists a Flathead Ted kit for '37-38. ???? Assuming it does exist, I just wondered if it would be any better than the regualr floaters.

Tim

Robert/Texas    -- 06-14-2010 @ 7:33 AM
  Tim
My '34 has floaters which I installed about 16 years ago on the front wheels only. The brakes work well and will skid all four of the 17" tires. My '37 does not have after market floaters and the brakes are even better and will easily skid the 600-16 tires. It does require more cable adjustments vs the rod adjustments on the '34.

Robert - Burton,TX

This message was edited by Robert/Texas on 6-14-10 @ 7:34 AM

40 Coupe    -- 06-15-2010 @ 5:33 PM
  here are the instructions for an early set of floaters

Tim I    -- 08-16-2010 @ 7:08 AM
  Thank you for those instructions. The floaters I got from Mac's came with no instructions, and I wouldn't have had a clue where to start.

I have to ask: Is it really necessary to pack the housing with grease? It seems like overkill, and a sure way to get grease on the linings.

Thanks again.

Tim
Denver, CO

ford38v8    -- 08-16-2010 @ 7:37 PM
  Tim, Use no grease on the floaters. Once installed, check them for freedom of movement and full adjustability. If you wish to lubricate them, use graphite only.

To initially adjust your brakes, set your axles on jack stands, all four wheels up. Use your hand brake in the various positions to determine adjustments at the wheels. Note that the rear wheels will need to be looser than the fronts, or they will lock up prematurely in use. Fine tuning your adjustments will require a test drive, so cover your seat with a blanket to protect from your coveralls, and don't forget to take along your adjusting spoon! After an initial brake-in period when the shoes have seated, you will likely see improvement with another minor adjustment.

Your brakes will be more reliable and better than in any Ford up till 1949, and you'll never have to replace a leaking wheel cylinder.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1383