Topic: 32 5W tack strip

MICHV8    -- 05-12-2020 @ 9:18 AM
  I know United Pacific makes a pre-bent set, but it is very expensive...anybody have
a different source?

trjford8    -- 05-13-2020 @ 1:44 PM
  Finding that tack strip in used condition is I like looking for a needle in the haystack. The problem with a used one is it has probably been bent when it was removed. If UP makes a new one I would step up and spend the money. I look at things from the stand point of how long do I keep looking , how long has the car been apart, and how much time do I have left to enjoy the car. If a tack strip is the last item you need just go for the repo.

51woodie    -- 05-14-2020 @ 8:53 AM
  What are tack strips made of? Can they be made by cutting strips of something like maple or HDPE plastic? Either can be bent to fit a door opening profile. Depending on the amount of bend needed, the maple would have to be steamed, to be bent around sharper curves.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-14-2020 @ 11:55 AM
  MICHV8
need more info on what you are trying to do,?
what exactly is the tack strip for, the roof ? is this a metal strip that is split and, that you fold over after you get it tacked down ???
MODEL A sedans used this on the front and rear when putting a top on,
oak can be steamed and bent very easily ,gets soft, if this is what you are taking about ?
you might have to make a jig to hold in bent shape,
I made up some bows for a MODEL T top years ago
hope this helps, 37Ragtopman Maine,,,

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 5-15-20 @ 5:30 AM

1931 Flamingo    -- 05-14-2020 @ 12:07 PM
  Mac's and probably some of the Vendors have tack strips for Model A's, with some work several could be "modified".
I've read where others use a plastic type insert. You could try a local upholstery shop that does convertible tops or try a place like Restoration Specalties. (SP). FWIW
Paul in CT

3w2    -- 05-14-2020 @ 2:37 PM
  The original is made of steel and its formed flattened U-shaped cross section does not lend itself to winging it. Some years ago a fellow in California offered the correct shape in a aluminum extrusion for both the '32 version and the different '33-'34 version. He made a very elaborate set of fixtures to bend it without distortion. Unfortunately my reference to him died several computers ago. As for originals, you might find one from a sedan more readily which has the same corner curves and can be shortened to fit a standard coupe.

MICHV8    -- 05-14-2020 @ 4:13 PM
  Dave
Was that the Mitch*ll guy? I tried a number I found and it was disconnected

3w2    -- 05-14-2020 @ 5:31 PM
  Sorry, I'm not sure.

whygoby    -- 05-18-2020 @ 7:51 PM
  Contact Restorations and Reproductions in Portland. They have a perfect replacement tack trip for 32's.

MICHV8    -- 05-20-2020 @ 5:36 PM
  whygoby
I called them and it turns out we have many mutual friends...thanks for the tip!

whygoby    -- 05-28-2020 @ 9:42 PM
  Mike at Restorations and Reproductions in Portland makes lots of great products for V8's. I'm happy you connected!!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13823