Topic: Setting point dwell.

kirkstad    -- 05-06-2020 @ 5:00 PM
  There has been some discussion lately about setting point dwell which is more accurate than feeler gauge.It has been some time for me,but I used to do it using an old Milton meter that I've had since being a teenager .On the later duel point Chrysler distributors you would block off one set of points and adjust the other,then do the same with the other set to get total dwell. I would like to do it on my 36 if possible.I have the early distributor with the long arm points.Is it possible to set dwell with distributor on the car? When I replaced my points with new ones awhile back I set them as accurate as I could,and car seems to run fine, but I would like to check dwell if possible. What would the correct procedure be?
Thank You.
Frank

TomO    -- 05-07-2020 @ 7:39 AM
  It is possible to check the dwell while the distributor is in the car, and maybe someone can change thew point setting on the helmet distributor while it is in the car, but I have never been able to.

Connect your dwell meter to the screw that holds the condenser in the coil and the other lead to ground. The screw that holds the condenser to the coil is the same electrical point as the wire that goes from the coil to the distributor on the later model Fords.

Block the passenger side set of contacts and the set the driver's side to 27 degrees, then unblock the passenger side and set the dwell for 34-36 degrees.

Tom

kirkstad    -- 05-07-2020 @ 11:06 AM
  Thank you Tom for taking the time to answer my question. I am a little confused about the setting. I would block the passenger side and set the dwell on the drivers side to 27 degrees, then when I unblock the passenger side which side am
I setting the dwell on, the passenger side now? Sorry if this is an annoying question,but I appreciate your time.
Frank

ford38v8    -- 05-07-2020 @ 11:00 PM
  Frank, I'm sure Tom can explain the procedure better than I, but the Ford dual point system uses one set of points to make, then the other set to break the connection. This effectively doubles the dwell time, consequently increasing the spark.
So, as I understand it, after the first set is adjusted to make at 27º, the second set is then adjusted to break at 34º to 36º.
Tom, did I get it right?

Alan

TomO    -- 05-08-2020 @ 11:08 AM
  Frank, questions are never annoying. People ask them because they want to learn.

Good job, Alan. The passenger side points are adjusted to give a total dwell of 34-36 degrees after the drivers side is adjusted for 27 degrees.

Tom

kirkstad    -- 05-08-2020 @ 11:21 AM
  Thank you Allen. When I adjust the first set and block the other set,do I then block the first set to adjust the second set? I would think so,but I wasn't sure.
Thank's again.
Frank

kirkstad    -- 05-08-2020 @ 11:34 AM
  Thank's again Tom, I had a difficult time during my school years, but I got it now. I was in the process of replying to Alan's
post and didn't see yours until now.
Frank

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13807