Topic: PENRITE STEERING BOX LUBE

sarahcecelia    -- 05-02-2020 @ 2:04 PM
  Somebody a few months back said they used this because their steering box was leaking the normal lube, and this didn't leak.because of it's high viscosity.
Would that person be so kind as to tell me where I can buy it. I see it on EBAY, but the COST for a 500ml bottle is $7.03, and the SHIPPING IS $22.57, making the TOTAL COST $29.60!! I understand that it comes to the U.S from Europe, and to Europe from Australia.
I put a new gasket on the lower part of the box when I relaced the sector, Cleaned the (2) surfaces,and tightened the (3) bolts evenly and snugly. For about a week or two I was checking it, and no leaks- now after about 2-3 months- yup, it's leaking again!! Thank you to any and all! for any info. to get it a litle cheaper, or telling me, "that's the going cost."

Regards, Steve Lee

alanwoodieman    -- 05-02-2020 @ 6:27 PM
  try mixing 1/2 synthetic grease, 1/2 synthetic trans lube-make a consistency of mustard, pour this into steering box, allow to settle and fill again. I use a squeeze bottle to fill it up. synthetic lube will no harden or burn off because of high heat of exhaust manifold. I also use this in the universal joint, pumps it is with a air powered grease gun

51504bat    -- 05-03-2020 @ 6:46 AM
  Try John Deere corn head grease. You should be able to find it or something similar locally. I use it in the steering box on my '39 p/u and no leaks.

1931 Flamingo    -- 05-03-2020 @ 7:45 AM
  Tractor supply has an equivalant type lube. One bottle should do a couple of cars, get a "buddy" and split the cost.

Paul in CT

carcrazy    -- 05-03-2020 @ 9:41 AM
  You can purchase the John Deere Corn Head Grease in a 14 oz. grease gun cartridge under part number AN102562. The last time I purchased some in a John Deere tractor supply store it cost $4.37.

kubes40    -- 05-04-2020 @ 6:05 AM
  Yep, JD grease... works wonderfully. I had even modified a (temporary) filler cap with a grease fitting so I KNOW the box is full.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13794