Topic: Radius rod ball bushing

46coupe    -- 04-30-2020 @ 8:50 AM
  Thought I'd try and install this rubber ball shaped bushing for the radius rods The old one looks pretty bad. The holes in the part are different sizes and the question is will I be putting grease inside the bushing through the larger hole. If so, what type of grease? I have the corn grease, old style wheel bearing grease, and regular grease for all the grease fitting locations. Will one of these be ok?

Thanks,
Brad

therunwaybehind    -- 04-30-2020 @ 9:59 AM
  I'm not aware of any grease being used and it would cause the rubber bushing to deteriorate. The "holes" are a way for the rubber to squirm. Now let me look at the Service manual for a less colloquial answer. Between page 49 and 63 I don't see any recommendations for maintenance actions related to the ball on the radius rods of 1941-48 Fords. If that ball is so deteriorated that it allows a lot of wander it needs to be replaced. That gets us to Ford 1928 thru 1948 Chassis Part and Accessories Catalogue. Looks to me like a 3446 on page 78. There is an illustration of 1942-48 Passenger front axle and related parts. 11A-3446 is for 41-48 identified as Bushing (front radius rod)- rubber number required 1 Passenger

C & G auto parts lists https://cgfordparts.com/ufolder/fordpart.php?number=11A-3446-A for $3.50

This message was edited by therunwaybehind on 4-30-20 @ 10:02 AM

kubes40    -- 04-30-2020 @ 10:00 AM
  Brad,
That ball was never intended to be lubricated. The hole in the end of the ball was to allow air to escape when pushing it (rubber ball) over the steel ball.
To install, I boil mine in water for a bit. That softens them up enough to push over the steel ball. If you think you need more "help" than simply softening the rubber ball, I'd suggest a spray of some type of lubricant that will dry soon after it's intended usage.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

46coupe    -- 04-30-2020 @ 11:18 AM
  Thanks to both of you for the answers, suggestions and references. I can go forward knowing you all are right behind me ready to help, which is why I like this club so much.

This message was edited by 46coupe on 4-30-20 @ 11:19 AM

3w2    -- 04-30-2020 @ 11:29 AM
  I use rattle can silicone on the inside of the ball plus the special K.R. Wilson pliers (Bv-22) made for the task.

51woodie    -- 04-30-2020 @ 12:37 PM
  I may have to replace the bushing on my '46 as well. Logic tells me that the safety stands need to be set up under the frame and not the axle. Is that correct? Will the radius rod move much when the cap is removed, making it difficult to line up for reassembly?

kubes40    -- 04-30-2020 @ 2:30 PM
  For YOUR safety, I'd place stands beneath the frame rails.
I'd lift the car by the center of the front axle.
You can pull the ball down far enough to install the rubber bushing. I tend to pry it down and place a 2" x 4" block between the X member and rods. That allows me to use both my hands to install the bushing. Ain't as strong as I once was...

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

trjford8    -- 05-02-2020 @ 10:02 AM
  I just put a new rubber on the wishbone of a '40. I used "Sylglide" a synthetic grease on the inside of the ball. You can use it on rubber parts and I got it in a small tube from Napa Auto Parts. I was lucky as the axle and wishbone were out of the car.
It is a challenging job and swearing doesn't help either. Here's what I did. I took two of the wife's clothes pins apart and placed the four wooden sticks inside the ball with the tapered part of the pins towards the wishbone ball. I spaced the sticks in the ball as evenly spaced as I could. I squeezed the tapered ends of the sticks and then pushed the top of the ball with the other hand. Bingo it went over the wishbone. Pulled the sticks out from the ball and I was done. With the axel and wishbone still in the car this could be more challenging. You will need to space the wishbone away from the frame in order to get enough clearance to put on the new bushing.. In the past I user a 2x4 to wedge between the wishbone and the frame.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 5-2-20 @ 10:06 AM

TomO    -- 05-03-2020 @ 10:01 AM
  Tom, did you put the clothes pins back together and put them back in Pam's basket? If not, what happens when she is 2 short when hanging the laundry?

Tom

trjford8    -- 05-03-2020 @ 3:52 PM
  TomO. She doesn't know they are missing! I didn't leave any evidence around that she would find. Besides I can always tell her the dog chewed them up.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 5-3-20 @ 3:53 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13789