Topic: 1952 Ford Gas Tank

GD    -- 04-30-2020 @ 7:00 AM
  Has anyone else had problems installing a new Reproduction Gas Tank from Bob Drake? It is like the tank is to thick and the straps will not fit around it properly . It looks the same as the original tank. I will pull it out one more time to do some accurate measurements.

trjford8    -- 04-30-2020 @ 7:22 AM
  Some of those new tanks have been made for a larger capacity. You might look at the ad for the tank as it usually tells you if the capacity has increased. If it fits and it's only the straps that are a problem I think you can buy longer straps or extend your existing straps. As a general rule the new tanks hold 2 more gallons than the originals.

Gordon T    -- 05-01-2020 @ 6:08 AM
  Installed a new one in my'51 and had to alter the straps to fit, outlet fitting was different size than original, used a plumbing supply fitting(different metal) between the tank and gas line, in a few months the steel gas line showed excessive rust starting from the tank. Replaced the conductive fitting with non conductive anodized aluminum fitting and no rust since. Hope this helps.

sarahcecelia    -- 05-01-2020 @ 6:29 AM
  Why didn't you buy one made to the original specs?? They are readily available from Auto City Classic.com.
And by the way; Ethanol fuel is not the only culprit that makes them rust inside. These tanks are 70 years old and condensation made them the rust inside over the years. Some people don't believe that they get condensation in them over the years; if that wasn't true; why did people put "Dry Gas" in them in the winter???
Answer that one.??

Regards, Steve Lee

Gordon T    -- 05-01-2020 @ 6:04 PM
  Original tank was gone. Bought the new tank from Shoeboxford in Oklahoma, Ray Marler was the owner at that time(2005?), the sending unit was made in India. After making changes to the straps it fit fine and the gauge is accurate. The gas line rust mentioned was on the outside which I actually caused myself by using a brass alloy reducing bushing between a steel tank and the steel gas line. At the time I was a NACE certified Corrosion Technician, du-uh?

This message was edited by Gordon T on 5-1-20 @ 6:06 PM

GD    -- 05-05-2020 @ 8:18 PM
  Thanks for all the answers. I did find part of the problem, The bracket that is welded on the body on the right side is higher then the one on the left. Left strap fits fine, will have to modify the right strap . Not sure how the original tank fit in there.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13788