Topic: Running Board Molding 46 Super Deluxe

mbidwell    -- 04-27-2020 @ 10:09 AM
  I’m attempting to take the original stainless moldings off my running boards to have them polished and re-used on new running boards and covers (from Obsolete). It appears that they slide off one end of the metal board, but my guess is they are held in place with possibly the same contact cement used to glue the covers on (assuming that’s how it was done at the factory). Any suggestions about removing the old moldings? Thanks!

woodiewagon46    -- 04-27-2020 @ 11:53 AM
  They aren't glued on, they simply sort of "clip" on. If you can get a grip on the bottom edge they will pry up and come off. When you'r re-installing them, the top edge of the stainless locks onto the raised top edge of the running board and with pressure the Botton edge locks onto the bottom edge and holds it tight.

mbidwell    -- 04-27-2020 @ 12:10 PM
  Thanks!

51woodie    -- 04-29-2020 @ 6:34 AM
  woodiewagon. I have a '46 Super Deluxe as well, and would like to remove, polish and install the RB trim. Are the snaps/clips you referred to reusable, or are they damaged when the trim is removed? Are there clips with bolt/nut configuration at the ends of the trim, where nuts have to be removed in order to pull the trim?

woodiewagon46    -- 04-29-2020 @ 8:28 AM
  There are no clips, the trim is self attaching. The top of the trim piece is designed to go over the raised edge of the rubber running board and the bottom of the trim grabs under the bottom. After 70 plus years of attachment they can be hard to get off, so take your time.

supereal    -- 05-07-2020 @ 11:52 AM
  That trim usually snaps over the edge of the running board as described above. Depending upon the quality of repro trim, and the resilience of the rubber on the board, the trim can come off while driving, to be lost or damaged. I put a small screw through the forward end of the trim, using screw with a polished head to secure the trim.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13782