Topic: Trim clip kit

Barney    -- 04-23-2020 @ 5:45 AM
  Hello Ladies & Gentlemen,
I have a 1940 Fordor Standard on which I'm planning to soon install the side stainless steel moldings. These moldings are installed on the hood, cowling, front door, rear door and rear fender. As expected, the kit includes the spring steel clips that slide in the 'track' on the backside of the molding; they are then snapped into the holes of the hood, doors, etc. Unexpectedly, I received a package of 8 items labeled as 'body belt bolt set'. It is a steel plate 5/8" x 3/4" with a 10-24 stud protruding from the center. The plate slides nicely in the track on the backside of the molding. I'm guessing they are intended to be utilized at the lead edge of all the moldings, except the short cowl moldings. I assume they are utilized as a safety factor so the air doesn't catch the molding and rip it off. Am I correct? Comments. Thank you.
Barney

kubes40    -- 04-23-2020 @ 7:36 AM
  Originally, each quarter molding utilized a bolt clip at each end of the trim piece. I've removed a number of these and found up to four and five bolt clips per quarter molding.
Side hood moldings were fitted with a bolt clip at each end.
The cowl moldings were fitted to the body with a pair of spring clips.
The doors did not originally utilize any bolt clips.

I tend to use numerous bolt clips on the door, cowl and quarter trim within my restorations as they locate and pull the molding down to my specific demands.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Barney    -- 04-23-2020 @ 7:58 AM
  Hello Mike,
Thanks for sharing your experience on the history of these bolts clips and their position. I wonder if the factory installed bolt clips only where the nut was accessible without removing upholstery, etc. (ei. all four doors). I think I'll order more so as to secure the moldings more uniformly. I made my own bolt clips to secure the hood center molding; placed my mind at ease about chipping paint, imposing dents, etc. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.
Barney

kubes40    -- 04-23-2020 @ 11:43 AM
  Hey Barney,
The body moldings were installed prior to any interior trimming.
The advantage of using a screw clip at the rearward end of the door trim is you are able to move the trim up or down as necessary to make it align perfectly with the quarter trim.
You may find it necessary to utilize a few of the bolt clips where the quarter molding curves near the very end. Because of the compound curve of the body in that area, the trim occasionally won't lay down nice.
During my restorations, I massage the trim to fit the body very nicely. I don't want to place any stress on the trim or the paint.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

supereal    -- 05-07-2020 @ 11:42 AM
  Here's a tip: Be careful when tightening the nuts on clips with studs. The threads are easily stripped, making removal, or loosening to adjust the trim, unlikely.

kubes40    -- 05-07-2020 @ 2:30 PM
  Plus, too tight draws the trim in to the paint. ARGHHH!

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13776