Topic: Replacing motor mounts on 40 Mercury

rradar    -- 04-22-2020 @ 10:16 PM
  Best place to put floor jack when lifting flathead to replace motor mounts?

MG    -- 04-23-2020 @ 12:46 AM
  Place a block of wood on the floor jack saddle. The pan is strong enough to handle engine weight. Ideally you want to place the jack toward front for pan....

39 Ken    -- 04-23-2020 @ 3:11 AM
  In addition to what MG said, just raise the front of the engine about a half an inch, remove the bolts then remove the old mount. Raising the front too much could damage the rear mounts and the fuel pump stand if it hits the firewall.

TomO    -- 04-24-2020 @ 7:35 AM
  I found that a floor jack would not raise the engine enough on my 40 Merc to replace the front motor mounts. I use a bottle or scissor jack and place it just behind the front cross member. I place a 4x4 against the pan and jack up the pan with that.

Tom

46coupe    -- 04-24-2020 @ 1:59 PM
  Hello everyone. This thread has been very helpful as I am planning on changing my engine mounts. Finally got the piece of wood, got the mounts, crawled under the car to locate the jack placement and found the crossover exhaust pipe is right in the way. Is there anyway to work around this as I really don't want to start taking it apart with the chance of breaking bolts, studs, etc.

TomO    -- 04-25-2020 @ 9:17 AM
  I have had duals so long that I forgot about the crossover pipe. Just put the jack as far forward as you can, it should work.

Tom

rradar    -- 04-25-2020 @ 11:55 AM
  Thanks to all for helpful input!! Was ready to begin removing the motor mounts but was rained out, so have to postpone until Monday. While checking the job out, noticed that anti chatter rods are bolted to the crossmember. Looks like they should loosened or unbolted. Any problem to rebolt them?

46coupe    -- 04-25-2020 @ 12:13 PM
  Thanks Tom, I'll try that. Wasn't sure how strong the metal might be there. I just don't want to crush the oil pan

rradar    -- 04-29-2020 @ 12:16 PM
  New front motor mounts now installed. Tested the Mercury and clutch chatter was lessened. Again, thanks to all for helpful suggestions.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13775