Topic: Will our flathead ignition systems survive an EMP

rradar    -- 04-22-2020 @ 10:07 PM
  Question? Will our flathead ignitions be able to start and run if coil and condenser are replaced?

1931 Flamingo    -- 04-23-2020 @ 7:09 AM
  ???

51woodie    -- 04-23-2020 @ 7:48 AM
  I think if we are subjected to an Electro Magnetic Pulse, strong enough to affect our engines, the least of our concerns would be if our flatheads would run. From my limited knowledge, EMP's are generated by the sun's solar flares, or a nuclear bomb going off nearby. There was one event a number of years ago in Quebec Canada, where the power grid was shut down unexpectedly, apparently due to an extreme solar flare, according to Hydro Quebec. I think it was because all the people in Quebec turned on their TVs at the same time, to watch the Montreal Canadiens beat the Toronto Maple Leafs at a finals playoff hockey game. Of course I know this can't be true, because the Leafs haven't been in the final playoffs since I can remember. I know I digress and probably haven't answered the question, but hey.... what can you do when you are cooped up inside, instead of cruising in a Coupe?

TomO    -- 04-23-2020 @ 7:49 AM
  What are you replacing them with?

Tom

39 Ken    -- 04-24-2020 @ 4:59 AM
  The coil and condenser wont be affected. However,
as 51 woodie said, running your flathead Ford will be the least of your worries.
I used to think that I would be the only one in the neighborhood that could get around after and EMP event because it wouldn't affect the ignition system. However, everything else would be affected including the pumps at the gas station, the trucks delivering the gas, the refineries and distribution facilities. So, keep your gas tank in your "flattie" full cause when that runs out, you won't be going anywhere else. ;>))

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-24-2020 @ 8:41 AM
  what I heard the magnetic fields will not work, in a EMP
I might be wrong, but I think
only thing running would be a mechanical diesel , like the old DIESEL MERCEDES car and some DIESEL trucks and like,
that do not have a electric shut off switch.
you will have to park on the hill, to get it running, jump starting,
my 2 cents 37Ragtopman

rradar    -- 04-25-2020 @ 12:12 PM
  Will use new coil and condenser. Further thoughts: Is there a way to use a "Faraday" cage around each electrical component to protect it ??

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-25-2020 @ 12:31 PM
  my Question
is why are your worrying about this,?
there would be MUCH MORE to Worry about if this Happened,

my 2 cents, 37Ragtopman

rradar    -- 04-25-2020 @ 2:56 PM
  "Not to worry"...just thought about the Scout moto: "Be Prepared", would be interesting to see if any tech has info on it.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13774