Topic: Taking '51 horn apart?

Gordon T    -- 04-19-2020 @ 6:36 AM
  Not seeing in the green bible just how to take horn apart, don't wan't to damage it. Any suggestions appreciated, thanks!

51woodie    -- 04-19-2020 @ 6:54 AM
  Gordon. I don't know if the '51 horn is the same as or similar to the ones on my '46, but as I recall, (I'm old, and did the job a few years ago), the cover just snaps on to the body. I attached pics of what mine looks like inside. The problem was that one of the two horns was not working. It checked okay with the ohmmeter, so I cleaned the contacts with 1000 grit wet/dry paper and that fixed it. Hope this helps.

Gordon T    -- 04-19-2020 @ 8:58 AM
  Thank you for the reply 51woodie,going to the garage and giving it a go. Were you on Ray Marler's site a few years ago? Thanks again, Gordon

39 Ken    -- 04-19-2020 @ 9:34 AM
  Gordon, Nice looking '51.
Any other photos you can show?
I have a '51 Hawthorne Green convert.
Is that the color of yours?
I can't get to it to check the horn but most of the
horns of that era operate in a similar fashion. So I guess they
would come apart the same way. Just go slow, line up the parts
as they come apart and take pictures.
Ken

Gordon T    -- 04-19-2020 @ 6:47 PM
  Appreciate the info, now that I got the round covers off without damaging anything I'll give the directions in the GB a go. Thanks for the interest in pics!

39 Ken    -- 04-20-2020 @ 5:39 AM
  Beautiful car. Thanks for the photos.

51woodie    -- 04-20-2020 @ 3:01 PM
  Gordon. How did you make out with your horns? Did you get them singing a fine tune?

Gordon T    -- 04-20-2020 @ 5:56 PM
  Dear'51;
They popped apart no problem, yet to decipher just which set I have. If I'm reading the GB correct there are two sets both having a high and low tone with each of the two sets having different gap measurements as well as different amperage. The amperage reading is the key as to which ones I have if I can get them working? thanks

This message was edited by Gordon T on 4-20-20 @ 6:00 PM

TomO    -- 04-21-2020 @ 6:58 AM
  What is wrong with your horns? Generally all that is required to make the horn itself work is cleaning the contact points.

The horns require quite a bit of current to operate and if there is no sound when the horn ring is pressed, the most common causes are a bad relay or poor grounding.

If the tone is off and they sound like a sick cow, the same causes apply.

To check the horn itself, connect a 12 gauge or thicker wire from the battery to the horn and then ground the horn by touching it to the body of the car.

The A suffix horns are 4.28" high and the B suffix horns are 4.14" high.

Tom

Gordon T    -- 04-22-2020 @ 4:38 PM
  Would like to thank the helpful replies regarding the horns. Took the low horn contact assembly apart, removed the contact pitting as best I could using a fairly fine abrasive stone. Didn't move the armature as the GB shows two series of horn assemblies 13832-3 with different air gaps. Both the tiny cardboard sleeved insulators on the contact assembly were brittle, replaced them the insulating outer portions of wireless stakon (butt) connectors of the same dimension. Had quite a go reassembling but it works just fine, the high horn is tomorrow's turn. Hope the lengthy description helps someone else and thanks again. Gordon

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13762