Topic: Foaming Over

sunflower    -- 06-11-2010 @ 7:07 AM
  My 35 Ford is foaming over the top of radiator does that mean it's clogged?Thanks

40 Coupe    -- 06-11-2010 @ 8:18 AM
  Assuming your saying the coolant is foaming with the radiator cap off. It doesn`t necessarly mean the radiator is pluged up. I would check the overflow tube and make sure it is open so that you do not develop pressure in the radiator. It is difficult to determin when the radiator is full of coolant but overfilling the radiator and contaminates in the coolant may cause excessive foaming. I would flush the system and start from there. You could remove lower radiator hose and try filling the upper tank with water if you can fill it, with a using a good streem of water, the radiator may need a radiator shop.

supereal    -- 06-11-2010 @ 8:38 AM
  Losing foam from an unpressurized cooling system is common, particularly with some antifreezes. I discovered Sierra antifreeze didn't foam as much back in my Model A days when foam would cover the windshield at hiway speeds. It is likely your radiator is OK, as my Model A had a new one, and still foamed. Because of the unique radiator cap on the '35, it usually isn't possible to try another type. Aeration of the coolant creates the foam. If you had a compression leak, the other cause, you would be having overheating. Try Sierra, or just plain water, to see if it helps reduce the problem.

supereal    -- 06-11-2010 @ 9:11 AM
  In addition, check the gasket on your radiator cap to be sure it is seating, and the condition of the radiator neck surface. I don't believe that there is a gasket kit for '35, so you may have to make one if needed. Also, Skip Haney's overflow valve kit may be the answer. He can be reached at 941/505-9085. I'm not familiar with the set up, but Skip has the answers.

TomO    -- 06-11-2010 @ 9:49 AM
  Sierra does not foam as much as other antifreeze, but costs more and you have to use more. Run with water and a good rust inhibitor with water pump lubricant.

Pressurizing the system with Skip's valve will help and his pumps will also help, but the least expensive way is to use water in the summer and antifreeze in the winter.

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-12-2010 @ 6:17 AM
  The foaming was most likely because of a low coolant level,,
What you could do is fill the radiator with it running till it gets to operating temp,
fill with coolant, this way you know its full,
if the coolant level is low it will FOAM,,,for sure,
I had the same problem, last year,and discovered it was low, this was after I installed rebuilt water pumps,I never realized that it had lost about 1 gallon of coolant over a period of use,it does not leak, and never saw over flow,when sitting after driving,
I also added SKIP'S VALVE this years,this solved the low coolant level,
order one and follow the instructions,
or call him he will fill you in,what you have to do besides the valve,
KEEP ON TRUCKIN ,, 37 RAGTOPMAN

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1374