Topic: water pump

vstol    -- 06-10-2010 @ 6:06 PM
  Just found the right water pump on my 52 customline with a slight leak. Using my 52 Ford maintenance manual it says to put a jack under the engine prior to removing the pump. It semed removing the pump was going to be pretty straight forward prior to reading about the jack. I can't seem to see where I could get a jack close to support the engine. I'm sure someone has done this before so I'm looking for the answer to how to do the removal and is a jack necessary. Depending on the difficulty of this evolution I am considering replacing both pumps.

bo8109b    -- 06-10-2010 @ 8:01 PM
  Just installed water pumps on my '48. After removing the front engine mount bolts, locate a jack and block of wood under the front of the oil pan. The wood should span the pan to avoid damaging it. Raise the engine only enough to get it above the mounts. Having removed the fan belt and lower hoses, unbolt the pumps.

ford38v8    -- 06-10-2010 @ 8:13 PM
  vstol, a screw or hydraulic jack with a short piece of 2X6 on top, directly under the engine oil pan. loosen the motor mounts first, then lift the engine enough to remove the mount pads. then proceed with the removal of the pump. Use a 6 point socket on the bolt inside the water inlet first, and upon reassembly, make sure that the bolt used is a stainless bolt if the current one is not.

To make the reassembly easier, use a length of all thread to position the pump for the first two bolts, then remove the all thread. A small dab of grease at each bolt hole on the pump will keep the gasket in place to assemble. The gasket will not normally leak, so so sealant is required. Always replace the rubber motor mount pads with new ones when doing this job, and tighten the bolts until the pads begin to swell a bit.

Now, the horse before the cart issue: A leak at the pump is not always fatal. Many pumps will dry out over long periods, or will get a piece of crud in the seal. With the belt loosened, turn the pump by hand back and forth while pulling outward slightly. This will dislodge the junk and your seal will do its job. Give it a chance to prove itself before you spend the time and money on replacement. Odds are good that it will reseal itself.

Alan

vstol    -- 06-11-2010 @ 5:37 AM
  Thanks for some really good input, I figured out using the jack under the oil pan in the middle of the night. I had not thought of replacing the engine mounts but makes perfect sense. I will try loosening the belt, twist the pulley and hope for the best.

vstol    -- 06-15-2010 @ 4:50 PM
  Just finished replacing both pumps and engine mounts. I removed the radiator and found the job very easy, no problem removing or replacing the pumps. I also purchased both front motor mounts and as I removed the right pump the motor mount fell into two pieces, good advice to replace them at the same time.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1373