Topic: Jacking On the Bumpers of a '46 Coupe?

51woodie    -- 04-06-2020 @ 7:17 AM
  A friend of mine gave me a bumper jack that he says is from the '40s era. My question is, can a '46 car be jacked by the bumper without bending or damaging anything?

wmsteed    -- 04-06-2020 @ 8:38 AM
  I have used a bumper jack on the front/rear bumpers of '40 and later Fords, however, care must be taken to keep the jack as close as possible to the brackets. A bumper jack on a '36 or earlier is a bad idea due to the single bolt mounting of the rear bumper.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

therunwaybehind    -- 04-06-2020 @ 11:09 AM
  Absolutely, be careful on unimproved or unlevel ground but that is the accessory that came with the car. You will hate how the bumper distorts up on one side. Don't work under the car once up. The 1941-48 Ford book published by Early Ford V-8 Club of America Appendix B Jacks, page B-4 -B-7 has the various ones. Myself, I did not like the lug wrench which with a missing extension could have also been used to hand crank the engine through that port in the grille. Here's a hint, the lug nut size is 13/16ths, and a six sided socket in black for an impact wrench won't eventually crack. Which extensions and whether a crank type or just a 1/2 inch drive ratchet wrench or breaker bar with swivel can best do the loosening and tightening also has the caveat to tighten in a star sequence going across the wheel and making more than one level in torque to finish is my advice.

nelsb01    -- 04-06-2020 @ 11:14 AM
  With all of today's down-sizing and useful adaptions, I have to ask why would you want to jack up an old Ford by the bumper?
If your looking for a jack for our old Fords, the best solution is a Ford scissiors jack from an Aerostar van. Small, compact and easy to store and use. You only need a 10 inch long piece of 2 by 10 for a base when jacking. Jack handle and extension clip right to jack so you never have to worry about where you put the crank handle.
Will fit under frame, for those of us that need to get the vehicle high enough for the wheel to clear the fender opening -- 1949-53 rear -- or front axle or rearend housing for others.
The last two that I purchased cost me only $10 each.
Now if you are looking to complete your tool kit -- that is another story.

51woodie    -- 04-06-2020 @ 12:32 PM
  Thanks for the replies fellows. I was mostly curious, as the bumper and brackets don't look strong enough to support the weight of the vehicle for jacking. I carry a hydraulic jack in the trunk for road travel.

cliftford    -- 04-06-2020 @ 2:29 PM
  Back in the 50s someone asked Tom Mc Cahill why a 5000 car included a 50 cent jack. His answer was, they ran out of 25 cent ones.

42wagon    -- 04-06-2020 @ 4:11 PM
  Back in the 40s and 50s the standard jack that came with a Ford at least was a bumper jack. It had on advantage in that you did not need to crawl around on the ground to use it. I will say that when using one the bumper did move around but it was designed to be used with the bumper jack.

Having said that, it is my opinion that the bumper jack is the most dangerous automotive tool ever invented. I certainly will never use one on my car and only carry it in the car as it is a part of the tool kit that came with the car. Even though you need to crawl round to set it up a scissor jack is a much better alternative.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-07-2020 @ 6:18 AM
  HI
I am with 42 wagon,.
Very Dangerous, esp if you only jack up the rear, be sure to use wheel chocks in the front,
use the emergency brake when jacking up the front, so car does not move !!!!
if it comes off, with out a wheel on it , that would be bad
I do not know one car maker supplying a bumper jack today.,
I guess safety standards changed things, to many people hurt,?
if you use one of the small trolley car,you do not have to crawl under the car,
my 2 cents 1937Ragtopman

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13727