Topic: My only historic photograph of my early Ford V-8

therunwaybehind    -- 04-01-2020 @ 2:47 PM
  According to the "Vehicle Legend" in the 2019Roster of Members, I would now describe this as a 1948 Ford Super Deluxe Sedan Coupe 89A-72B. The title by which it was transferred to me in Bad Axe, Michigan used a number on the firewall which Van Pelt has said is how 1949 Ford's were identified. It had three hubcaps, two of which were red letter and flashes and one was block blue letters. The rear bumper had a red oval and Ford script stamp indented into the center. It had a hot water heater with a squirrel cage blower under the hood and a long sheet metal duct going from a circular match with the blower to a narrowing rectangular duct that passed on the right side of the radiator. The rear fender stone guards were zinc castings with linear details. I had obtained it 3 years before I had a license to drive in 1959. The air cleaner was gold and of the turban shape still with a decal of service instructions. The cast and chromed upper grille bar had one segment broken at the passenger side and I removed it. The yellow paint below the trim on the four fenders was present when I bought it. The shortened rustless steel trim on the hood was also present. It had had a fan hub failure that damaged the radiator when I first saw it in the Talaski dealership and I found it belonged to one of the mechanics. I eventually talked him into selling it for $100.00 and my father drove it home.

therunwaybehind    -- 04-04-2020 @ 12:17 PM
  This photograph is one of those answers to "what would he do if he caught it? about dogs that chase cars. My car had 1948 Mercury 15 inch wheels and in the photograph I put up from 1957 was shod with weather checked B.F.Goodrich Silvertowns 6.70 x 15 front and 7.60 x 15 rear. In 2012, a car showed up at the weekly car show in what had once been the Thunderbird's Drive INN in Troy, Michigan. I looked for the type hot water heater that had vents to both sides and was under the glove box area. I looked at the direct acting type shock absorbers which a 1947 Sportsman owner had shown me he also had on his car which had been in his family for 60 years. He personally had owned it for 58 of those years. Below is a picture of what seemed to me to be a similar year and model as my car. It had 15 inch steel disc wheels shod with Pirelli 15 inch radials. 5 and 1/2 inch bolt circle wheels are quite rare except in 16 inch rim sizes. I have found out more recently that the 1949 Mercury is more probably where the wheels came from. I did not have a camera when I saw the Sportsman but received one for Christmas in 2010. This picture is from before 2013 when I moved to Texas and was taken by a Nikon after the 2010 Canon software zoom failed on the road approaching Mobile, Alabama.

This message was edited by therunwaybehind on 12-25-20 @ 3:17 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13717