Topic: 39 Tudor Standard Heater

Gary M.    -- 03-28-2020 @ 12:48 PM
  Hi guys, my 39 Standard has all of the duct work for the hot air heat system including all pull cables leading to defrost and heat dampers , but the inlet under the hood is capped off. Would all of this equipment have been installed at the factory even if you did not order a heating system, or did someone remove the heat exchanger at some point because it was rotted and causing fumes to get into the car ?
Thanks...

kubes40    -- 03-28-2020 @ 1:08 PM
  removed...
The factory and / or dealer did not install "partial" heater assemblies.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 3-28-20 @ 1:09 PM

Gary M.    -- 03-28-2020 @ 2:24 PM
  I assume those heater parts are no longer reproduced because of the liability of being gassed out if the parts failed ?

kubes40    -- 03-28-2020 @ 2:37 PM
  Gary, If you are searching for parts to complete your heater, let me know what you need. I probably have mint or NOS.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Gary M.    -- 03-29-2020 @ 8:08 AM
  Thanks for the offer but I looked at the system in the Gary Malast 38,39 Ford book and it looks like alot of parts to make up the system. The car is not a high points show car and doesn't get driven in the winter so I think I will leave it as is.
Great to know there are people like yourself that have these parts available for a person who is doing a full resto.
Thanks....

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-29-2020 @ 10:08 AM
  Gary M
I had one of these new in the box, 30 years ago
reason I did not use it,
the instructions said to remove the manifold heater for the summer, because of the heat build up in the engine
compartment.
did not want the issue of removing and installing, seemed like a lot of work for little use,
I do not think it was issue of exhaust leaking, if kept a eye on,the exhaust system like any car,
I worked for VW and they used heater boxes on beetles and VW'S type 2 '3'4' , and really never had a problem with exhaust issues,
if you heard a exhaust noise it , you had to repair it,
just like today if you hear a exhaust noise, exhaust could leak in the modern cars
my 2 cents, 1937 Ragtopman

Gary M.    -- 03-29-2020 @ 11:02 AM
  Yes, that's another problem.
The car is black so it's already hot enough in the summer !!

wmsteed    -- 04-01-2020 @ 9:43 AM
  When I was a kid during the '30's-40's a lot of the Fords that had the hot air heater system, At the time they seemed to be a good idea, they produced heat with-in a few minutes of the engine being started, however, with all of the parts that required maintenance to keep the system working and the fact that the system had to be removed for summer driving pretty well ended their life.
Hmmm? Now where did I put those parts I removed, it's getting cold.
Of course anyone that ever had a VW Bug knows full well that the VW system left much to be desired in cold Northern US winters, the same was true of the Chevy Corvait's as they aged.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13704