Topic: 1934 Body Number???

Steve34FORD    -- 10-13-2009 @ 5:12 PM
  I have a 1934 Ford 4dr Deluxe...
I got a new body plate which says_____LB______.
The style is 730 for the 4dr
What goes after the LB??
Where do I find the body number for my 1934 Ford 4DR Deluxe?

tierod    -- 10-13-2009 @ 8:12 PM
  There is no body number per se. A serial number can be found on top of the left hand frame rail between the firewall and the radiator. If the trans has not been changed you should find the same number above the trans. inspection plate. Hope this helps.

trjford8    -- 10-13-2009 @ 8:36 PM
  After the LB would be the sequential body production number. This is a body number and is not related to the serial number(VIN number).Ford had some bodies made by outside sources and they numbered the bodies that they produced.This information comes from the V-8 Club's 33-34 Restoration Manual. If you do not have this book it can be a wealth of information for you as a 34 owner. The book can be ordered from our on-line store in the left menu.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 10-13-09 @ 8:44 PM

Steve34FORD    -- 10-16-2009 @ 2:55 PM
  I have the book... So where do i look to find my body number on my 34 ford?

trjford8    -- 10-16-2009 @ 7:16 PM
  The body tag was riveted to the right side of the firewall. If your tag is missing look for two small rivet holes in the firewall where the tag was mounted.

MOXIE    -- 10-17-2009 @ 12:43 PM
  The 33/34 restoration manual they are talking about has a lot of information but nothing about body numbers. I was like you in trying to find out what my body number might be but had no luck. The manual talks about the serial number that's on the frame and a little about the style number but nothing about what a body number to the right of the "LB" tag might be.

NATESBPD    -- 10-17-2009 @ 4:57 PM
  I agree with what Moxi said.... The pic in the book shows the 730 and then LB then a 4 number serial number. I thought that the body number might be somewhere on the body or the last 4 of serial number on the frame..im just not sure.

trjford8    -- 10-17-2009 @ 8:52 PM
  The serial number/VIN number is strictly a sequential chassis production number. The body number was placed on the body(firewall) by the outside manufacturer of the body. Not all bodies were built by Ford. Ford used bodies that were made by LeBaron and Budd.Each had it's own numbering system for the bodies.

NATESBPD    -- 10-18-2009 @ 10:21 AM
  Ok,, i dont have the old body plate.. how do you know which body u have? LeBaron or Budd?

NATESBPD    -- 10-18-2009 @ 10:25 AM
  Ok,, i dont have the old body plate.. how do you know which body u have? LeBaron or Budd?

NATESBPD    -- 10-18-2009 @ 10:28 AM
  another pic

MOXIE    -- 10-18-2009 @ 3:12 PM
  In my opinion the information you are looking for does not exist. At lease I could not find anything when I was looking to put a number on my car body. What I did was, by using the 33/34-restoration manual, I found how many coupes were made. Then I got the frame number and again, using the restoration manual found that the car was assemble June 1934. June is half way thru the year so I took half of the number of coupes that were made and used that number for the body number. Anybody got a better idea.

jerry.grayson    -- 10-19-2009 @ 2:19 PM
  I am going to see if my memory is correct. Others have posted the fact that
ford made some bodies and others made some. Ford made 2dr and 4dr and they did not have a body plate. The 3w coupe, open cars and station wagon were made by others and had a body plate. Your 4dr should not have a body plate.

trjford8    -- 10-20-2009 @ 7:45 AM
  Here's a list of companies that made bodies for Ford; Murray,LeBaron,Budd, and Briggs. These companies made Ford bodies during the 20's and 30's. All these comapanies made a variety of body styles. Knowing Ford's history for looking for the "best deal" from a supplier it may be tough to determine who built the body for a specific body style. As Moxie stated the information(records) are very sketchy or non-existant as most of these body companies supplied bodies for many different car makers.

42wagon    -- 10-20-2009 @ 1:50 PM
  Steve
There seems to be a bit of confusion regarding the information you are looking for. I hope that I can clear up some of it. I am not an expert on 34s, far from it, but here goes.

1. There is no connection between the body number and the engine number. The sequential engine number was assigned at the Rouge engine plant long before the engine was mated with a body. At the assembly plant the engine number was transferred to the frame and became the car identification number. No additional numbers were added to identify the body.

2. In 1934 it appears that Ford used bodies built by Murray and Briggs. The only bodies indicated in the book "The Classy Ford V8" to have been built by LeBaron were the Sedan Deliveries. This book indicates that the Fordor bodies were built by Briggs. It is my understanding that although several body builders were used, Ford would have contracted with one of them to produce all bodies of a specific style. Whether Ford built some of the Fordor bodies in their own plants is unknown to me. At any rate the book says that 102,268 Deluxe Fordors were built.

3. What records were kept were sketchy and a this late date probably impossible to reconstruct. Therefore the suggestion made by someone else is good. From the frame serial number determine approximately where in the production run your car falls. Then arbitraily assign a body number. To be correct you will need a Briggs body tag. To the best of my knowledge the body number only appears on the tag and not somewhere else on the body.

Hope this information helps and doesn't further confuse the issue
Ted

Steve34FORD    -- 10-22-2009 @ 4:48 PM
  Well I thank everyone for their input and most of their knowledge. I guess I will have to make up some thing for the body plate. thanks to all.

Steve

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=137