Topic: fuel preasure

fatdog    -- 03-27-2020 @ 3:17 AM
  got me stumped
i have a 37 coupe with a flathead, i set the fuel pressure at 2.5 psi and it starts and runs fine, however the fuel pressure drops to zero after a while, the engine runs fine but cant get my head around the gauge showing no fuel pressure, I replaced the electric pump and filter but it has made no difference..... any ideas??????

40 Coupe    -- 03-27-2020 @ 4:21 AM
  It may be the gauge failing after being warm, Since the engine will not run without fuel pressure.

JayChicago    -- 03-27-2020 @ 9:46 AM
  I was getting silly readings from the fuel pressure gauge on my street rod, so went shopping for a new gauge. Read buyer’s reviews posted on the various brands......saw many complaints about failure/short life on all the aftermarket gauges. My new gauge seems fine now, but no telling how long it will last.

fatdog    -- 03-28-2020 @ 7:21 PM
  once the car has been siting for about half an hour the fuel pressure gauge shows 2.5 psi, once the engine is started and running the fuel pressure just drops away to zero. Heat I believe is not an issue as the gauge is mounted on the firewall and it doesn't run long enough to generate heat. could the problem be in the regulator rather than the gauge, however it seems to run fine Really got me stumped.

thanks
fat dog

40 Coupe    -- 03-29-2020 @ 4:38 AM
  Why not put a temporary second gauge on to see if the original gauge is defective? Why guess.

39 Ken    -- 03-29-2020 @ 7:51 AM
  Do you have a liquid filled pressure gauge? Some are sealed to prevent leakage of the liquid. The liquid dampens vibrations in the gauge, but when heat builds up, pressure inside the gauge drops. If the gauge has a little rubber stopper in the top, remove it and see if pressure indication returns. Or, you can solve the problem by replacing the gauge with one that is not liquid filled.
Also,you can find articles online about drilling and removing the fluid in the gauges.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13699