Topic: Dasboard Crank removal

Zero    -- 03-24-2020 @ 4:44 PM
  I'm looking to remove the dash on my 37 2 dr standard slantback to have it wood grained but I'm running into an issue with the windshield crank. I know that a snap ring holds the crank handle on but I'm unsure of the best way to remove it. I must have been on my back looking up at it for at least a half an hour. My thought was going at it once I have the radio out. Just not sure. This forum's members are always a wealth of knowledge and is always appreciated by all.

John

1937sedandelivery    -- 03-25-2020 @ 9:25 AM
  John,
I have done this several times on my 37's. I crawled up under the dash and used a small screwdriver to pry open the locking washer. The attached file illustrates the regulator, handle and washer.
Good luck,
gregg

Zero    -- 03-25-2020 @ 10:15 AM
  Gregg,

Thank you for getting back to me. Any other tips on removing the dash? I see the screws on top of the dash but I suspect there must be other locations holding the dash on. Thanks again on the tip for the locking washer.

John Z.

1937sedandelivery    -- 03-25-2020 @ 10:41 AM
  John,
On each lower side of the dash there is a bolt that fastens the edge of the dash to the top cowl area (I call this the kick panel area). When putting things back together, make sure these bolts make good contact to the dash and the cowl fastener tab. You may need to scr*pe off some of the woodgraining/primer where the bolt head meets the dash. I believe these two connection points provide "ground" to all the components that mount in the dash.
In general, the dash comes out pretty easily. Of course you will have to disconnect all the wiring to the dash components and if it isn't obvious where they connect to, you may want to label the various wires.
For sure, disconnect the battery before playing around with the dash.
Gregg

p.s. I'm sure you know that Mahogany woodgrain is for Standard models and American Walnut is for Deluxe models.

Zero    -- 03-25-2020 @ 3:04 PM
  Gregg,

Once again thanks for the info. I'll be tagging all the wires under the dash for my own sanity. Memory is not what it use to be. Great advice on the ground for the dash. Something I would probably look past. I'll let you know how it goes.

John Z.

1937sedandelivery    -- 03-25-2020 @ 4:39 PM
  Good.
It got me to thinking a bit more about the dash grounding. I had trouble starting my car with the new dash. Turns out the start button (located lower left) needs to be well connected to the dash. That is, there is one wire to the button. The start circuit begins with the button being well grounded to the dash, which is simply through the button housing contact to the dash opening. The wire is routed from the button to the starter solenoid on the cowl (firewall). When the button is pressed it routes the ground from the button housing, to the wire, to the solenoid.
I ended up carefully scr*ping the woodgraining from around the inside diameter of the button hole and also scr*ping/cleaning the backside of the hole opening. It should be fairly obvious and straightforward, but it stumped me at first. I thought the button was at fault.

On a related note, one of my 37's is a deluxe model and has the two chrome strips vertically located between the gauges. The strips did not fit/snap into the holes due to the woodgraining finish closing the hole openings just a tad. It doesn't take much. I had to very carefully file down the woodgraining finish on the inside of the holes. Take care not to chip off the woodgraining. When I did the filing, I stroked it in one direction only (from front of the dash to the back side of dash).

Good luck.
gregg

Zero    -- 03-28-2020 @ 5:37 AM
  I was able to remove the dash yesterday. Gregg, again thank you for the tips. Hopefully I remember how it all goes back together!

John

TomO    -- 03-28-2020 @ 8:55 AM
  Nearly everybody has a smart phone these days and they are very handy for taking photos of things before we disassemble them. If you don't have one or a digital camera, go on E-Bay and get your self a small one. Photos are invaluable when putting things back together.

Tom

Zero    -- 03-29-2020 @ 5:26 PM
  Tom,

My last sentence was a poor attempt at humor. I have documented the disassemble and marked all the wires for reassemble. All nuts and bolts have been bagged and marked accordingly.

John

TomO    -- 03-30-2020 @ 8:15 AM
  Sorry, Zero. I did not catch the humor at first, but I do now.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13694