Topic: 1950 Car Clock Fuse

sarahcecelia    -- 03-21-2020 @ 4:47 AM
  My clock stopped suddenly, and I found out that the fuse had blown. It had a 14 amp in the hot wire.

Was that the correct amperage? If not, what amp fuse does it need?

Kind of odd for it to blow for seemingly no reason?? The points didn't stick- because I put a fuse in and it started to tick, tick.

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 3-21-20 @ 6:04 AM

TomO    -- 03-21-2020 @ 4:17 PM
  The owner's manual should have the correct fuse size. Most of them are 3 amps. A 14 amp fuse will not protect the clock.

Your clock probably needs cleaning and oiling. The contacts also need cleaning. The armature probably did not move enough to fully close the contacts, but enough to allow current through the coil, so the armature oscillates unti the fuse blows, then the clock unwinds enough to allow the points to fully close. When you replace the fuse, the points are closed and the armature makes the full swing to wind the clock. It will run for a while and this will happen again.

Tom

sarahcecelia    -- 03-23-2020 @ 4:47 AM
  Thanks Tomfor your input.

I am very astute. I cleaned that clock and the contacts; and adj. the fast/slow ; It was keeping perfect time, and all of a sudden, "no power to it!!"

I found the problem. It was not getting power through the fuse, and I tried other fuses to no avail. Even though I cleaned both ends of the wires that contact the fuse- no power? I had another clock wire- tried it and; BINGO!!

Weird?? YES!! That's electric sometimes; WEIRD!!!

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 03-23-2020 @ 4:52 AM
  I was mistaken; I thought that the fuse had blown! I couldn't see the ends of it in the metal part at both ends, but there was no power; So, I thought the fuse was blown. It apparently wasn't!! Read my reply to Tom!

Regards, Steve Lee

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13684