Topic: 36 Ford fordor sedan gauges removal

acereske    -- 03-20-2020 @ 9:22 AM
  I need to remove the amp meter/temp gauge for replacement. Do I need to remove the dash? If so, how! Thanks for any suggestions.

Al C.

nelsb01    -- 03-20-2020 @ 10:41 AM
  No you do not need to remove dash. (it maybe welded in by the way)
First, disconnect one of the battery cables.

The gauges are held in by two nuts (and split washers) on attached to the back of the dash threaded bolts. They are at 9 and 3 clock locations. I believe they are 3/8 in nuts.
You can try and get to the nuts with a deep socket (small driver is easier). Once loose, you can remove with fingers.
Any wiring is also attached to the back of the gauges again I believe the nuts are 3/8 in. The amp wire end goes to the resistor board that is mounted on the cowl. You need to remove that and crimp the end to slide it through the amp gauge. The temp gauge is a little bit harder to remove, but with the gauges removed, you should be able to look through the gauge hole and see what you need to do.

Hope this helps some. Once the battery is disconnected you can run your hands and tools behind the dash without fear of getting surprised.

This message was edited by nelsb01 on 3-20-20 @ 10:42 AM

ford38v8    -- 03-20-2020 @ 12:04 PM
  The temp gauge is removable without disturbing any other gauge. It is held in place on its own backing plate behind the gauge unit, and attached to a wire bound capillary tube running through the dash to the engine sending unit. This sending unit must be dismounted from the engine, then pulled through the hole in the dash. The sending unit/capillary tube/temp gauge is one complete assembly, not to be cut or taken apart. The rubber grommet in the dash will likely need to be removed in order to get the sending unit through the hole.

Alan

acereske    -- 03-20-2020 @ 3:40 PM
  Alan - ford38v8 & nelsb01
Thanks very much for your information as it now seems doable.
Al - acereske

Al C.

This message was edited by acereske on 3-20-20 @ 3:42 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13681