Topic: Opening '37 Windshield

roberthoops    -- 06-10-2010 @ 9:49 AM
  My 1937 Fordor windshield is stuck closed. I believe that the mechanism for opening it is OK. Any suggestions for opening it without damaging anything will be appreciated. Note that I have been warned that it will probably leak once opened but it's really hot here in Texas.

supereal    -- 06-10-2010 @ 10:14 AM
  As the "roll out" windshields usually leaked, it is likely that someone put sealer around the gasket, firmly attaching the assembly to the body. If the leak was bad, the mechanism is sure to be rusty, as well. Using a non-metallic scr*per or similar tool, you may be able to work the seal free. There are products, such as a 3M solvent, that will release sealer if you can put it in the area where the seal is pried up. Your local auto parts store may have it.

roberthoops    -- 06-10-2010 @ 12:06 PM
  Thanks Superreal, I can't believe how easy this was. Didn't have a plastic tool handy so I used a Model T gas gauge stick and gently pried as I used a little force on the handle. The windshield came open in minutes. The rubber seal is soft and flexible and looks like it won't leak. I'll only drive it in the rain if I get caught in it. The mechanism shows no rust but I'm going to give it a little lubrication. This is a 59,000 mile original car which appears to have been stored indoors for most of it's life.

This message was edited by roberthoops on 6-10-10 @ 12:12 PM

ford38v8    -- 06-10-2010 @ 3:35 PM
  Robert, The opening windshield on some early Fords is the best cooling there is on a hot day. You're lucky to have it in Texas, as I'm sure you'll soon find out! Enjoy!

Alan

37 Coupe    -- 06-10-2010 @ 5:19 PM
  Just watch out for a bumblebee that wants to hitch a ride by blowing through the windshield opening. I keep mine closed now and use cowl vent after an "incident"

This message was edited by 37 Coupe on 6-10-10 @ 5:19 PM

40fordor    -- 06-11-2010 @ 5:29 AM
  Has anyone but me noticed that when driving our old cars that the lack of air conditioning does not seem important when we get air blowing in our face? If the air conditioning goes out in my modern car or truck I think I am going to die (or my wife does!).
Don

Sporty40    -- 06-11-2010 @ 6:51 AM
  My wife & I thoroughly enjoy riding in our coupe with the wings cracked and the cowel vent open even in 90 degree weather. It's almost like having air conditioning!

lightflyer1    -- 06-11-2010 @ 7:52 AM
  Where in Texas? My '35 fordor and I are in Round Rock near Austin. Free Fathers day show here in Austin at 51st and Lamar, if you are close.

roberthoops    -- 06-11-2010 @ 9:06 AM
  This is Robert's wife! And no A/C is no A/C in my mind. I can tolerate the wind in my hair but at 90+ degrees with 90%+ humidity I am not a happy traveler. At least with the windshield plus air scoop I will survive.

Diann

P.S. Oh, I forgot to mention on our excursion to Baycliff from Houston, the heater valve was open!!!!!!!!! That too has now been corrected.

This is Robert,

37Coupe - I'm afraid of bees too but more afraid of rocks hitting me in the face. I don't open the windshield very far and always wear glasses.

Lightflyer - I'm near Burton, northwest of Brenham most of the time and in Houston sometimes (retired). I can't go to the show as we are having a big Fathers Day party in Houston.

This message was edited by roberthoops on 6-11-10 @ 9:18 AM

Tev    -- 06-21-2010 @ 9:07 PM
  Lightflyer1,

We drove the 37 to that show, which is about 4 blocks from my house. Got there late on Sunday, though. Had the cowl vent and windshield open and it was fine. Maybe see you there next year -- we definitely plan on going.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1368