Topic: 1948 flat head V8 6 volt generator question

gbruce1949    -- 03-16-2020 @ 3:03 PM
  Hi
I replaced my battery recently (it was due) but I think my generator is not charging ....I did have it running and disconnected one of the battery post and the engine stopped running immediately ....so what I'm looking for is information on my best plan of attack to solve my problem (new generator or follow wire leads etc etc
my car is a 1948 ford 4 door sedan with a flat head V8 100 horse
thank you
George

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-17-2020 @ 6:15 AM
  hi
to test the generator, disconnect the gen belt,disconnect all the wiring, on the generator,
MOTOR NOT RUNNING ] now use a 10 gauge or heavier wire,
and connect the ARM to the battery, if it spins the generator is working, if not check the brushes,and commutator for wear and if dirty, it might have to be cleaned up if it had been sitting for years, electric cleaner in a spray can can help.,
if it still does not work,
attach everything back, now start the engine, use another jumper wire, 16 gauge is ok
touch the FIELD wire to a ground, for ONLY A FEW SECONDS,
you should be using a volt meter and see if the generator starts working,, if so the REGULATOR is at fault
If you need to get the GENERATOR rebuild, replace the regulator at same time, be sure to polarize the regulator generator,
a good place to do business with is CERTIFIED AUTO ELECTRIC in OHIO
hope this helps, let us know how you made out,
1937Ragtopman
picking a up a manual on how to repair the and test the charging system might come in handy

gbruce1949    -- 03-17-2020 @ 9:11 AM
  Thanks......I will try that next
George

TomO    -- 03-17-2020 @ 9:36 AM
  Touching the field wire to ground is not a good idea on a Ford generator.

To get an idea of if the charging circuit is working:
With the engine running, turn on the headlights and look at the ammeter. At idle it should show a discharge (the needle would move to the left). When you increase the engine speed, the needle should return to the middle and then show a charge.

If these conditions are not met, connect a voltmeter to the battery terminal of the voltage regulator. The meter should read battery voltage (about 6.2-6.4). Increase the engine speed and the reading should go to 7.2-7.6 volts. If you get those readings the charging circuit is working.

If the readings above 7 volts are not made, connect a jumper wire between the Fld terminal of the voltage regulator and the Arm terminal and increase the engine speed to about 1,000 rpm. If the generator is good, the reading will be above 7 volts. If the reading is below 7 volts the generator is bad, if it is above 7 volts, the regulator is bad.

If you do not have a voltmeter or know how to use one, take the generator and voltage regulator to a generator repair shop, not a parts house.

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-21-2020 @ 6:00 AM
  hi
I found this on Bing this might help you, my 2 cents 37RAGTOPMAN

What is Polarity Test?
Like the name suggest, polarity test is the process of determining the correct polarity of a system.

If you are an electrical enthusiast like I am, you can determine Polarity through visual inspection. By using knowledge and sight, you can correctly establish the correct termination of core colors.

However, there are still other methods that you can use to determine polarity such as Continuity Of Protective Conductors.

After determining the polarity of your system, it’s time to polarize your generator.

Step 1

Remove the fan belt from the machine the generator starts. While at it, it is essential that you can peel it off by hand, and if not, you can loosen the sway bar arm using a socket set.

Step 2

Make a small jumper wire from the 14 gauge of 16-gauge wire, long enough to reach from the battery to your generator.

Then, on either end, attach an alligator clip.

Step 3

Attach the jumper wire to the armature terminal on the generator. In most cases, this terminal is usually labeled with an "A."

Step 4

To the other end of the jumper wire, make a brief contact to the positive terminal on the battery.

It’s essential that while at it, you only touch the battery for a second. Else, if you touch the positive terminal for a longer duration, you might end up damaging your generator.
After you are done with the polarization, you need to confirm the results by turning on the ignition switch. On models with the charge indicator light, ye light should display, indicating discharge before the engine starts.

And once the motor starts and your unit is charging, the red light should go off.

However, if the engine runs slow, it’s an indicator that the generator is not charging enough to overcome the load.
HOPE this makes things easier,
1937RAGTOPMAN

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13673