Topic: 46 Coupe Fuel Sender

51woodie    -- 03-15-2020 @ 10:42 AM
  I salvaged a King-Sealy fuel sender from a 51 Ford Wagon, and the sender works when tested on my dash gauge. The problem is the wire from the sending unit to the float is almost corroded away, so I need to replace the wire. Also, I don't know the correct length or profile of the float wire that would be used in a 46 tank, as the existing one is an aftermarket unit made in Brazil. Does anyone have a picture or measurements/drawings that would help with preparing this unit for use?

TomO    -- 03-16-2020 @ 9:26 AM
  From the pivot point to the bend is 2 1/8" and from the 90 degree bend to the float bend is 4 1/2 ".

The photo that you posted has the correct profile. Check the diaphragm to make sure that it is not rusted through.

Tom

51woodie    -- 03-16-2020 @ 10:10 AM
  Hi Tom. Thank you for the info. The measurements on my sender are 2" and 5 3/4". As to the diaphragm, it was covered with scum which I removed with walnut sh*ll blasting. On your prompt, I will remove the cover, support the sender inverted and put a bit of fluid on the diaphragm to see if it leaks through. I sketched the range of travel as exists, and later, will draw the range based on you measurements to see what the vertical travel would be. I think the important thing is the float does not hit the top or bottom of the tank when full or empty, as that would cause damage to the float.

1931 Flamingo    -- 03-16-2020 @ 12:04 PM
  WOW That certainly cleaned up nice ! !
Paul in CT

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-21-2020 @ 6:07 AM
  A GOOD hobby shop.,
might have a stiff wire so you could form a new one for your sending unit,
maybe you could solder to the old piece,
be sure to use a heat sink so you do not harm the tank sender,
I found hobby shops help full in various tasks,
its worth a try for sure,
Hope this helps 1937Ragtopman

trjford8    -- 03-21-2020 @ 8:08 AM
  Why not salvage the float and rod off the other sender?

51woodie    -- 03-22-2020 @ 3:46 AM
  trjford8. The sender that was in the car when I bought it was not an original KS sender, but aftermarket. Another question that came up as I was checking/cleaning the sender from the 51 is, what the gear shaped piece (see picture) is for inside the sender. My logic, which my wife often questions, is that it must be for calibrating the sender. Does anyone know? If so, how were/are the senders calibrated.

TomO    -- 03-22-2020 @ 9:24 AM
  That is for calibrating the sending unit. I do not have instructions for calibration and you probably do not need to calibrate your unit. Fuel sending units are just used to give you an idea of the amount of fuel in the tank. They will show full even though you have used a gallon or more of fuel and will show empty when you have a gallon or more left. The other readings range between those two readings.

Here is a source for stainless rod https://www.mcmaster.com/stainless-steel-round-stock

Here is the link for steel rod https://www.mcmaster.com/steel-round-stock

You can use the rod on the after market unit if it is long enough and you don't want to save the unit or bend your own out of steel rod using the rusted one for a pattern. You do not need to solder the rod to the unit, just pry open the union and use it or a new one. You can buy side by side unions on Amazon.

Tom

51woodie    -- 03-23-2020 @ 4:10 AM
  Tom Thank you for your ideas. I was just curious about the adjuster, and figured that it was best not to mess with it. My plan is as you suggested, to take the rod off the after market to use on the KS. I have checked the sender (jumpered to ground) connected to the gauge wire, and it works through the range of motion. As far as accuracy, I'm not expecting the; "ding", LOW FUEL warning, and the miles left to empty showing up on the dash like I have on my Taurus. Guess the best setup is for the gauge to indicate E before the tank really is empty.

A little humour for these trying times. My wife drives a Ford Edge, and does not use the cruise control, as she does not trust it, and figures she won't have control of the speed. I have tried several times to explain, demonstrate and encourage her to use it, but she still doesn't. I tried to explain again a few weeks ago as I was driving her to town in her Edge, and she promised me she would try it. Two days ago, I was driving her again with the cruise set, and she leans over and asks, "What's that little green light that looks like a speedometer for?" I said "Aahhh, that little light comes on when you are using the cruise control!" Busted!

Brian

TomO    -- 03-23-2020 @ 7:32 AM
  My wife also has a fear of technology. She is afraid to use it because she might break it. Unfortunately she has had bad experiences with the remote on the TV. She kept complaining that the TV would shut off after someone said "OK". It turned out the Alexia was listening to the Amazon commercial and turning off the TV.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13669