Topic: Timing Bar? 1936 Ford Phaeton

Garrison202    -- 03-12-2020 @ 9:25 PM
  I posted this question before, but didn't have a picture until now.
Does anyone know what this red capped lever/bar is for?
I had a mechanic tell me it was for "timing." Was he right? If so, what is timing and when is it used?

Thanks so Much,
John

cliftford    -- 03-12-2020 @ 9:48 PM
  I have never seen anything like this on an old ford. Looks like some sort of after market accessory. Where do those two lines go? I'm Thinking it might have something to do with the vacuum brake, since your mechanic told you it was for timing.

This message was edited by cliftford on 3-13-20 @ 10:08 AM

Garrison202    -- 03-12-2020 @ 10:12 PM
  Not surprised! My grandfather was a tinkerer. He had this car to drive and two more for parts. Wish I knew enough to identify where the lines go. Next time it's in the shop, I'll ask my mechanic. Before then, perhaps I'll put up a few more pictures.

Any other guesses?
Thanks!

MG    -- 03-12-2020 @ 11:18 PM
  Does the car have a two-speed Columbia rear axle?

40 Coupe    -- 03-13-2020 @ 4:49 AM
  It is an unusual aftermarket device and not ford. Unless you can tell us what it is attached to, we could only guess. Is it electrical or does it have tubing connected to it or mechanical linkage? If you could trace where the wires, tubing or linkage go to.

TomO    -- 03-13-2020 @ 9:42 AM
  Show us the bottom side. It looks like it may have connected to a vacuum gauge, but without seeing where it is connected, it could be a trigger for machine guns behind the grille.

Tom

jthompson1937    -- 03-13-2020 @ 9:55 AM
  An early James Bond car?

JM    -- 03-16-2020 @ 5:55 AM
  Based on the two pictures posted, and lack of any additional support information, I wouldn't even want to try and guess what that device is, or what it could possibly be used for.
Kind of reminds me of my '35 3w coupe purchased in 2014. It has so many cool aftermarket accessories mounted in the engine compartment, inside the car on and under the dash, attached to the steering column, mounted in the trunk/rumbleseat area, and also on the outside of the car, that I've never seen before, or even know how to operate. Many of these accessories were probably offered by JC Whitney back in the '40's to '60's ??????

John

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13664