Topic: help locating some carriage bolts

1937sedandelivery    -- 03-10-2020 @ 8:07 AM
  Hello,
My 37 Sedan Delivery has some wood cross members in the rear quarter area that support a wood floor. Some of the cross members are held in place with special bolts. Not sure if they are called carriage bolts, elevator bolts or what.
Some of mine are broken/or badly rusted. Can someone suggest a supplier that might carry these. My go to person would have been Roy. Does Michael carry these? I could call him but thought it would be good to post here in case others have the same need.
The bolt in the photo is: 3/8"-16 x 2.5". I need a 3" one. The bolt head is ~ 1 3/16" diameter.

Thanks,
gregg

3w2    -- 03-10-2020 @ 8:29 AM
  I believe that they are known as 'step bolts', distinct from carriage bolts because of the wider, flatter curvature of the head. Elevator bolts have a flat top and a slight countersink to the underside of the head.

Are you sure of the thread count? Period Ford floor bolts usually had fine threads, which are much more difficult to find these days. If you really want course thread bolts they should be readily available from fastener suppliers such as McMaster-Carr. If you want them with fine threads, that's a real challenge. Michael may have them or you could buy oversize course thread bolts, cut off the course threads, and cut new fine threads on the remaining shank of the bolt.

This message was edited by 3w2 on 3-10-20 @ 8:32 AM

1937sedandelivery    -- 03-10-2020 @ 9:04 AM
  Ah, step bolts. I will search for those.
As long as I can find bolts with the large diameter head, I am ok with either fine or coarse threads. Looks like I have some options.
Thanks for the info.
gregg

OLDTMR    -- 03-10-2020 @ 1:52 PM
  Shucks, I thought I had a great deal for you. I have a can with 60 3/8 x 16 x 3" stainless carriage bolts I would love for someone to own. I rebuilt my truck bed and used different bolts for reassembly. Oh well, if you know someone who could use them ?

lhoucinegirlfriend    -- 08-25-2022 @ 1:59 AM
  Hi there guys. Actually, I have the same situation, too, so your suggestions are still welcome. I have a friend who works at scrooz.com.au, so I guess I might ask him about it. He knows everything about those bolts, literally. Anyway, guys, I’m waiting for your reply. This issue has been bothering me for more than a year. I think the time has come to solve this problem. Thanks in advance! Best wishes.

This message was edited by lhoucinegirlfriend on 8-27-22 @ 3:37 AM

cub 45    -- 08-25-2022 @ 6:55 AM
  If the head is good cut bolt shank off and weld new section on.

kurt

woodiewagon46    -- 08-25-2022 @ 7:20 AM
  McMaster-Carr has a very large selection of elevator bolts in many sizes. I know that's not exactly what you are looking for, but might help while you are searching for the correct bolts. They do show a slotted bolt that has a slight dome so you might be able to weld up the slot and finish it.

woodiewagon46    -- 08-25-2022 @ 7:41 AM
  I just checked a catalog I have from Restoration Supply Company, www.restorationstuff.com. They list a bolt very similar to what you are looking for ,PN NUT373, but unfortunately it's only 2.5" the same as yours. You might give them a call and ask if their supplier can provide a 3" bolt. You might get lucky.

harrietzaspel    -- 09-29-2022 @ 4:20 AM
  I think you'd better contact the manufacturer and clarify this issue. I can say that the bolts must be steel. The presence of a galvanized coating is not necessary if the bolts are used in a non-aggressive environment. For fasteners in this area, it is necessary to choose ahead. It should be studied to avoid self-twisting. You can search for such bolts on https://www.scrooz.com.au/hardware/metal-strapping/hoop-iron-metal-strapping/ . But first, contact the manufacturer and find out how many bolts you need.

This message was edited by harrietzaspel on 9-29-22 @ 6:02 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13655