Topic: 37 cutout area on bell housing question

37fordguy    -- 03-07-2020 @ 10:02 PM
  I have a 37 convertible and took the right floor board up. I saw a large cutout section of the housing on the right side of the bell housing for the clutch. This area is open and seems to expose the workings. Is this supposed to be open or have a cover? If a cover is needed does anyone have one for sale? If not supposed to be open what is the purpose and does this expose the clutch to the environment? A close up lic is attached.

40 Coupe    -- 03-08-2020 @ 5:36 AM
  No there should not be an opening but a larger view photo would help. It appears someone cut the bell housing maybe for a clearance issue. There is no cover available from ford since this is an aftermarket modification. I also do not see why this opening should create a large issue, since the repair is a big issue. If you vehicle is a driver leave it as it is.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-08-2020 @ 7:31 AM
  37 CABRIOLET
It Looks like someone cut the bell housing which is part of the transmission,
maybe to remove a broken starter spring bolt, ?
seems kind of odd to me,
I with just go with it,leave it alone, IF everything works
if you were to have problems later on then do something about it,
maybe in the future pick up a spare transmission,
my 2 cents 1937RAGTOPMAN 78-760-A

trjford8    -- 03-08-2020 @ 8:23 AM
  If you recently bought this car I would call up the prior owner and ask whey this piece was missing. They may have done this to retrieve a broken Bendix unit from the starter, but it certainly is not the proper way to do it. All they would have had to do was drop the pan or use a flexible magnet to retrieve the pieces via the starter hole. Whoever did this was not exactly a genius.

TomO    -- 03-08-2020 @ 4:11 PM
  That cutout is non-stock and does expose the clutch to excess moisture and debris. You will have to find another transmission or case and replace yours.

The cutout will not damage any other part of the car and there is no way to determine how long the clutch will last.

Tom

42merc    -- 03-09-2020 @ 9:47 AM
  was the car once a 60HP car?
That type of cut was common when fitting an 85HP transmission to a 60HP engine for starter clearance.

This message was edited by 42merc on 3-9-20 @ 3:44 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13647