Topic: trunk springs '39 coupe

oldfordman    -- 03-05-2020 @ 2:04 PM
  Hello all,
Before I spend those hard earned bucks for new springs, is there anything I can do to strengthen them? They ALMOST hold!!!
Thanks very much for help.
Don

kubes40    -- 03-05-2020 @ 2:40 PM
  I have had very good fortune removing the rivet (pivot) and truing up the holes. That most often involves welding the holes shut and drilling new holes - on location of the proper size. Then I install a new rivet.
It seems from my experience the springs do not lose their strength. Rather, the holes and / or rivets being worn will no longer support the lid. Must be just enough to change the angle...

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

TomO    -- 03-06-2020 @ 8:14 AM
  Don, new springs may not help. As Mike said the pivots may be worn and the geometry of the arms will not be correct.

Remove the arms and check them for worn pivots by trying to operate them. If the pivots have no play, you should replace the lower mount shoulder bolt as they do wear and affect the geometry of the arm. When installing the arms, adjust the lower mounting bolts so that both arms snap into position as the lid is raised. I like to install one and adjust it so the lid closes correctly and then install the other and adjust it so that as you raise the lid the arms both lock into position at the same time.

IMHO before I would go to the trouble of welding up the pivot hole, I would buy Drake's reproduction arms.

Tom

supereal    -- 03-08-2020 @ 10:48 AM
  I would opt for the complete arm and spring assemblies. The lid on my '47 would drop without warning, and one rap on the head is enough! Get the arm and spring assemblies at C&G (800/266-0470) $150 for the pair. Item 91A-7744200/1. They also sell the springs alone as 91A-7744236-S, $13.95/a pair. As the others have noted, usually worn pivots in the arms that cause most problems. These are excellent parts. I bought them for my car.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13643