Topic: LowerSteering Box Cover Leaking

sarahcecelia    -- 03-03-2020 @ 9:36 AM
  The (4) bolts that you have to loosen, to turn it c. w. to lessen the lash of the sector with the worm on the steering wheel shaft, and c. c. w. to increase the lash. (2) of those bolts are side by side, toward the front, parallel with the drag links, and the other (2) are right behind them parallel to the drag links. The one on the front right, is leaking steering box oil!

I removed the bolt, cleaned the threads w/ solvent, permatexed the bolt, and installed it. a few weeks later it is leaking again!

Anybody got any idea of a fix??

Regards, Steve Lee

carcrazy    -- 03-03-2020 @ 10:20 AM
  One way to stop leaks from the steering box is to use John Deere Corn Head Grease. This grease is available from John Deere Dealers in 14 oz grease gun cartridges under part no. AN102562. Your steering box may continue to leak until all of the 90 weight gear oil is out of it.

1931 Flamingo    -- 03-03-2020 @ 12:34 PM
  PennRite steering box lube. NO leakee. FWIW
Paul in CT

sarahcecelia    -- 03-03-2020 @ 6:48 PM
  Where can I buy this "Pennrite." steering box lube??

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 03-03-2020 @ 6:59 PM
  I see it on Ebay in a 450 gram tube for $7.23, is that 450 gram tube enough??

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 03-04-2020 @ 5:31 AM
  I googled it and saw a '"U Tube " clip about a guy using "Pennrite Steering Box Oil" with great success.Then I googled where to buy it, and it came up, but no place to buy it in U.S., and it costs 8 pounds? It is from Austraila and Only sold in Europe!!????

Regards, Steve Lee

TomO    -- 03-04-2020 @ 7:59 AM
  Steve , try:

https://restorationstuff.com/

download their catalog, it is shown on page 24 for $19 for a 500g bottle.

I do not recommend this product, use the Ford specified lube in your steering box. Thicker lube and silicone goop are just band-aids. By 1949 sealing techniques were good enough that the grease did not leak out of the steering boxes like they did on the Model T and other cars of the 1920's.

Those 4 bolts should be outside of the oil reservoir and all of the goop in the world on the threads will not seal them. You probably damaged the gasket when you made the adjustment, I would replace the gasket. If you did not do a complete rebuild with all new gaskets before doing the adjustment, then I am pretty certain that the old gasket tore when you move the adjustment.

Tom

sarahcecelia    -- 03-07-2020 @ 4:10 PM
  Took it apart today Tom. No damage to the cork gasket, but it is old.

Ordering a new one from carpenter (out of stock/Mac's). I'll install it and aviation Permatex the area around the edges of the housing, to ensure no leaks, and apply a little lube to the outer face of that cork gasket, so it doesn't tear when adjusting the worm/ sector lash. sound good to you??

Your thoughts?? Please advise on the new thread about position of that lower cover on the box. Thanks!

Regards, Steve Lee

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13640