Topic: 36 Ford flathead

36fordcvsedan    -- 02-26-2020 @ 6:09 AM
  I am in the process of rebuilding my engine. Can insert bearings be used to replace Babbitt bearings?

TomO    -- 02-26-2020 @ 7:40 AM
  Yes, there are some shops that line bore the block and then machine it and the caps to accept insert bearings. I doubt that it is worth the extra expense over a good Babbitt job.

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-28-2020 @ 5:33 AM
  hi
36FORD FLATHEAD
I think if you bore out the block, you also will need the bigger crankshaft,,from a LB or 37 and up crankshaft,check your part numbers,
I always thought the 36 babbit bearing engine crank had small main bearing's
rods were the same,
just a thing to think about, if you find a shop make sure they know what they are doing,
you could be looking for another engine block ,?
my 2 cents 37RAGTOPMAN

supereal    -- 02-28-2020 @ 12:13 PM
  We just finished an engine for a customer. In place of the floating bearings, we installed a set of billet rods with insert bearing size and notches. These rods are beautiful, and as modern as you can find. They aren't cheap at $500/set, but given the cost of a quality rebuild, they are certainly worth it. The block was bored to match the pistons, and the crank was polished to size. New hardened valve seats and stainless valves were added. That engine was better than new went it went home.

pauls39coupe    -- 02-29-2020 @ 10:04 AM
  Hi Super. Wouldn't you have to also use the later crank or drill the rod journals to oil the two bearings?

supereal    -- 02-29-2020 @ 10:37 AM
  No. If you want more info, contact our shop at 319/338-7140.

therunwaybehind    -- 03-04-2020 @ 3:33 PM
  If you dislike the power valve on a Chandler-Grove 94 just imagine how you will hate the secondary actuator on any four-barrel. It was fuel injection that got us to where we now can drive cars after the damage of government fuel consumption and ecological regulation generated technical improvisation and deadline mandatory tests in bag houses with an inertial roller. Positive is a word I ken but automatic has to be proved.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13630