Topic: won"t start

JohnA    -- 02-24-2020 @ 10:08 AM
  Installed new plug wires on my 48 Ford 2dr 239, had carb rebuilt by member of club, but wont start. It"s doing same thing it did before carb rebuilt, will run for a second or two , but wont come up to idle?? like fuel problem.Has newer fuel pump also from member of club,carb is getting fuel,may it be to much or not enough?? any ideas. Johna

alanwoodieman    -- 02-24-2020 @ 10:14 AM
  pull the spark plugs and look at them, carboned up?

MG    -- 02-24-2020 @ 1:38 PM
  "Has newer fuel pump"??? - Is this newer fuel pump correct for the engine you have? Is the glass bowl sealed tight - cork gasket as opposed to neoprene. Show us a picture of the pump...When did the problem start?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-24-2020 @ 3:04 PM
  JohnA
what happens if you prime with gas directly into the carb ? does it start and run? [be careful]
you have to isolate the problem.!!!
I have in the past used a fuel tank suspended above the engine,like 1 quart, can which I soldered a pipe fitting
so I could hook up the carburetor, and see if it starts,
if it does the problem is from the fuel pump back,
check to see if you can blow in the gas line coming up to the fuel pump, [LIGHT AIR PRESSURE,]
you can use one of those tire air compressors, will work on low air pressure,
you can take the gas cap off and hear air bubbles, coming out of fuel tank,
does the car have a inline fuel filter from the tank to the front of car, if it does it might be dirty
and not letting fuel though,
LETS hear how you made out, 1937RAGTOPMAN

JohnA    -- 02-24-2020 @ 3:27 PM
  new plugs,cap and rotor. Using neoprene gasket on bowl, proper fuel pump, has small filter in fuel bowl. Do you think fuel or something in distributor, will fire up so most likely fuel, lots fuel getting to carb.

JohnA    -- 02-24-2020 @ 3:29 PM
  will also add another 5 gal of gas.just be sure.

MG    -- 02-24-2020 @ 4:03 PM
  Get rid of the neoprene gasket on the glass bowl and replace it with a cork gasket. What is the condition of the flexible fuel line/hose at input of pump?

JohnA    -- 02-24-2020 @ 5:20 PM
  Ok. rid of neoprene, in cork. flex hose brand new. thanks

TomO    -- 02-24-2020 @ 7:18 PM
  Look in the throat of the carb and operate the accelerator. If you see 2 streams of fuel, your problem is not a lack of fuel.

Hold a plug wire near a head bolt and crank the engine with the starter and the ignition switch on to check for spark. If you have spark, the engine should run.

Check to see that the plug wires are in the correct positions i n the cap.

Tom

JohnA    -- 02-25-2020 @ 6:10 AM
  t0m--looked in side carb and am getting a spray of fuel out of venturias , using rajah clips on spark plug ends, anybody else use them??

TomO    -- 02-25-2020 @ 8:00 AM
  When you have a problem after doing some work on a car, it is usually something that you did wrong. You are getting fuel to the carburetor, so the engine should start if you have spark at the correct time.

I went over to Speedway Motors to check out the Rajah wires and it looks like it would be easy to do something wrong at the distributor end. I suggest that you use a continuity checker to check from each of the contacts inside the distributor cap to the ends of each of the spark plug wires. This will ensure that you have the wires in the correct firing order and that the ends are making contact with the wire.

You should also watch their video to make sure that you installed the ends correctly.

Tom

JohnA    -- 02-25-2020 @ 12:49 PM
  did watch their video, still wasn"t sure which end goes where , called tech line and they weren:t sure which end went, guy hadn"t sold set in years, but I"m sure rajah ends go to spark plugs.I think your heading right direction , .electrical. Johna

sarahcecelia    -- 02-26-2020 @ 7:13 AM
  I used them on my 1950 sedan in 1955, they are EXCELLENT!! they are not your problem. they make an excellent connection to the spark plug!!

Regards, Steve Lee

TomO    -- 02-26-2020 @ 7:30 AM
  Steve, please read the complete post until you understand it before making a comment. Neither John or I disputed the ability of the connectors to connect to the plugs.

John has said that he has fuel coming out of the accelerator pump discharge nozzles, so he has fuel. The engine must have enough compression to start and run, because it ran before he replaced the plug wires. That leaves the remaining essential to start, spark delivery of the correct amplitude and timing.

If you do not want him to check the continuity of the connection between the distributor cap and the end of the plug wire, what do you suggest he do to get the engine started?

Tom

JohnA    -- 02-26-2020 @ 10:04 AM
  I didn"t feel very comfortable with my connections so I wouldn"t be surprised if the engine is firing on only couple cylinders, not enough to turn camshaft fast enough to feed carb ,maybe , will keep you posted. Johna

JohnA    -- 02-26-2020 @ 10:30 AM
  crimping is proper word, not connections

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13627