Topic: Batteries

jimlamarca    -- 02-09-2020 @ 10:00 AM
  Hi Members, Last year I acquired a 1936 Ford with an older restoration. The previous owner installed an 8-Volt battery. The car has been sitting unused for a couple of months so the battery is dead. Few questions:
(1) Can the 8-volt be jump started with a 12-volt battery? If so, what are the necessary precautions?
(2) Belong to AAA. Can they jump start an 8-volt with a road service call?
(3) Once running, how long will it take for the running car itself to recharge the previously dead battery.
(4) Am thinking of reverting back to 6-volt. Any suggestions?What brand/size 6-volt battery is best for a '36?
All recommendations are welcome. Thank you. Jim

kubes40    -- 02-09-2020 @ 10:31 AM
  You can jump an 8v. battery with a 12v. However, be certain to connect positive to positive and negative to negative. Also, do NOT have the 12v. hooked up to a "jump" vehicle.
Make this jump quick... if the engine doesn't start right away, forget it.
Most service vehicles can jump any battery but you might ask prior to them sending a truck to you.
IF they come out make darn certain they realize your battery is positive ground.
Eight volt batteries are typically installed by folks that either are too lazy to properly diagnose and repair their vehicles and / or lack the necessary knowledge. Eight volt batteries are simply a "mask' for other issues that warrant attention.
A 6v. battery installed in your vehicle with the proper cables installed correctly, a properly remanufactured starter and generator and you should have no future issues.
You don't even need "extra" grounds as some suggest IF your circuit has the authentic grounds in place and are clean.
It is unlikely your generator will ever bring your battery up to full charge. Rather, you will most likely need to charge the battery slowly with a dedicated charger. I'd suggest you have battery tested once you have properly charged it.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

TomO    -- 02-09-2020 @ 10:35 AM
  You can jump start the car with a 12 volt battery by going directly to the starter. Do NOT push the starter button while connected to the 12 volt battery.

You can also start the car with a push, which is the method that I prefer. It will start in reverse if that is the only way you can push it.

I would not trust a AAA service to start any car other than a very modern one. They are not familiar with the correct procedures and if they make an incorrect connection the battery could explode.

My suggestion for a 6 Volt battery is the Optima Red Top. It is available from Amazon and other suppliers. You will have to make some changes to your battery box to accommodate it. I would make the change ASAP. You should post photos of your generator and close up of the cutout or voltage regulator before attempting to convert back to 6 volts, so we can give you some guidance on what has to be changed.

Tom

jimlamarca    -- 02-09-2020 @ 12:48 PM
  Good advice, Mike, Thank You. Jim

jimlamarca    -- 02-09-2020 @ 12:50 PM
  Thanks very much for your sage advice, Tom. Jim

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13596