Topic: Timing?

Garrison202    -- 02-05-2020 @ 6:14 PM
  Forgive my ignorance.
The ‘36 Ford that I’m still in the process of reviving has a thin lever protruding from the steering column. I asked my mechanic what it was for and he said it was for “timing.”

What is timing? When I pull on the lever, what is it doing? When would I want to “time” the engine?

Thanks so much.
Between my ignorant questions and your sage answers, I think I could write a book: Ford Flathead V8s for Dummies.

cliftford    -- 02-05-2020 @ 8:46 PM
  That sounds like the ignition switch. Does it have a keyhole next to it? If you could send a picture that would help.

Grant    -- 02-06-2020 @ 6:08 AM
  The Early Ford V8 Club has an excellent 1935 1936 Ford book available on this site. As a fellow '36 owner with limited knowledge, I guarantee you will often find it to be helpful.

Your timing question is interesting. Please do post a photograph.

Many of us count on the wisdom which gets posted here on Forum to help develop a better understanding of our vehicles.

Your idea about putting together a Flathead Ford V8s For Dummies reference text is a very good one.

You might find Bill Toboldt's "Fix Your Ford" quite useful. There are several different hardcover versions of that old publication. Mine is 1932 to 1957. It has helped deal with our old Ford problems many times.

Welcome to Forum and the EFV8 Club.

MG    -- 02-06-2020 @ 10:27 AM
  Lose your mechanic... :o)

This message was edited by MG on 2-6-20 @ 10:28 AM

CharlieStephens    -- 02-06-2020 @ 12:09 PM
  Post a picture. It is easy. Cell phone pictures are fine. I can't think of anything that came from the factory that matches your description. Add your general location to your profile, maybe someone will volunteer to stop by to look at it.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 2-6-20 @ 12:12 PM

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-06-2020 @ 1:15 PM
  HI
PHOTOS would help,
were is the distributor on the engine, is it a 36 FORD FLATHEAD V8 engine ?
1937RAGTOPMAN

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13584