Topic: Business Coupe Part Two

TonyM    -- 02-05-2020 @ 12:35 PM
  Yikes!!!

Someone tell the editors of the V-8 Times that there is no such thing as a 1938 Ford Business Coupe.

On page 59 of the Jan/Feb 2020 issue of the V-8 Times, Jim Parsons' beautiful 1938 Ford DeLuxe Coupe is described as a 1938 "Business Coupe".

The EFV-8 C/A reference book The 1938-1939 Ford Book indicates that there were three coupe models offered in 1938:

Coupe
De Luxe Coupe
Club Coupe

It is no wonder that this misinformation is constantly perpetuated--- we can't even get it right in our own magazine.

78-730B

supereal    -- 02-05-2020 @ 12:47 PM
  It is common to call one seated coupes "business coupes" to distinguish then from "sedan coupes."

TonyM    -- 02-05-2020 @ 12:51 PM
  But Ford don't call them that.

Again, our Club reference books have the correct models listed.

78-730B

TonyM    -- 02-05-2020 @ 12:53 PM
  Superreal,

Have been a big fan for years and love reading your posts.

That being said, the 1940 Ford Business Coupe is not a one seat coupe--it is a bench seat coupe with two jump seats in the back. No "Sedan Coupes" in 37-38-39-40 to distinguish from. Club Coupes. The Sedan Coupes came later.

78-730B

This message was edited by TonyM on 2-5-20 @ 1:13 PM

supereal    -- 02-05-2020 @ 1:08 PM
  Thanks, Tony. My father had a '41 "business" coupe that had a deck behind the seat, in addition to a large trunk. He travelled for a national company, and could fill the space with lots of his materials. I have seen jump seats several times, but I suspect that the were either special ordered, or aftermarket. If I was showing a car, I certainly adhere to the "official" Ford description. I have a '47 convertible which is sometimes labeled "convertible club coupe' or other label. It could be called a "Super Deluxe Convertible Coupe 79A-76B" but that is too much to remember at my age.

TonyM    -- 02-05-2020 @ 1:11 PM
  Ha! Yes, too much.

How about my brother's car?

1941 Buick Series 90 Limited Model 91 Six Passenger Touring Sedan

Wow.

78-730B

fordv8j    -- 02-05-2020 @ 4:03 PM
  I have owned this 38 coupe since 1964, always called it a business coupe, seat swings up for storage space, and a package tray behind seat, I've been wrong a long time, know better now, Thanks...James R Parsons

kubes40    -- 02-05-2020 @ 4:26 PM
  Tony,
I have witnessed perhaps 99% of '40 COUPE owners (parcel shelf type) call their cars Business coupes. I had become tired of attempting to educate those folks a long time ago.
At least in 1940, Ford did in fact make a business coupe. It's the one with the auxiliary jump seats.
You have re-educated more folks than I with James Parsons. The score now YOU:1, ME:0.

Good for you James to continue learning. It's enjoyable

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

FordFreak    -- 02-05-2020 @ 9:05 PM
  That is a good looking coupe ! So , was there a 1937 Business Coupe ?

fordv8j    -- 02-06-2020 @ 6:53 AM
  When we got our 38 convertible, I refered to it as cabrolet, someone corrected me saying it is a convertible coupe,has rumble seat...checked the 38 restoration book, they were right, we're getting oooold, but continue to learn about those old Fords, but as long as we are on the green side of the grass we will make a mistake once in a while, the v-8 club and Jerry Windle are the best....Thanks for a great forum

TomO    -- 02-06-2020 @ 10:17 AM
  Jerry does a great job of making the magazine interesting, so I don't mind a small error now and then. I just enjoy the magazine.

My generation called all coupes without a back seat, "business coupe", no matter what the manufacturer called them. We also called cars with jump seats "opera coupe". All convertibles were called "convertibles", nobody called them "cabriolets".

If we are going to call car models and parts of cars by the names that manufacturers called them, we would have to get out our reference material every time we talked about cars. We would have to use instrument panel instead of dash or dashboard, dash board instead of firewall and change many other common usage titles that we use to call car parts. We would have to remember that Ford called the 38 car models Standard and Deluxe, but in 1939 they were called Ford and Deluxe Ford. We need to remember that the sales literature gave different names than the parts catalogs in some cases.

Tom

TonyM    -- 02-06-2020 @ 11:24 AM
  TomO.
Nothing like taking it to the extremes Tom. I am just talking about this subject, not every car that has a stupid nickname or is called something else in error. We are supposed to be the experts on these vehicles, so maybe we should strive to get it right in our "award winning" magazine. Don't get me wrong, I love our magazine and they do a great job over there. They did publish my photo without giving me credit, but I'll let that slide.

Ford Freak,

No, there is no such thing as a 1937 Ford Business Coupe. Please read the previous posts. Thanks.

78-730B

This message was edited by TonyM on 2-6-20 @ 11:25 AM

kubes40    -- 02-06-2020 @ 4:36 PM
  TomO,
You KNOW I respect you - you deserve respect.
However, in this instance I must respectfully disagree, at least in part to your recent post.
What's wrong with learning the correct terms for anything? Car related or not, it is never to late in life to learn. Lord knows I've picked your brain a number of times (thank you).
How about instead of folks becoming complacent with our worn out and incorrect terms -we strive for correctness?
I'll start... in 1939 Ford still used "Deluxe" and "Standard". It was in 1940 that "Standard" was no longer to be used. Rather, this model was to be referred to as the "Ford V8".

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

JayChicago    -- 02-07-2020 @ 7:01 AM
  Good healthy debate going here. Let me weigh in with my two cents:

Should the correct nomenclature as used by Ford be used today, especially within the club dedicated to preserving the history of Ford? I think so.

Should we, and the magazine, consider the reading audience and use nomenclature in common usage to not confuse the broader audience, especially people new to the club? I think so.

Yeah, I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth here, because I see the merits in both sides of this debate.

Maybe a good practice would be to use the correct name and add a parenthesis to it. Like "....38 Ford Deluxe Coupe (business coupe)...." or "Ford V8 (a.k.a. Standard)". This may help educate people, let them see the correct name next to the common usage term.

But it probably also depends on the context. If just writing a forum post, do I want to write "......dashboard (firewall)....."? I think I will just stick with firewall, to avoid confusion.

Good healthy debate!

TomO    -- 02-07-2020 @ 8:02 AM
  Tony and Mike, I think that both of you have great knowledge and passion about the Ford made cars and I respect both of your opinions. My opinions about "correctness" are different than yours and we all have the right to express them.

When anyone says that we can only use the "correct" terms, it bothers me. I find that the terms used depend upon the source. Then I have to know which source is the "correct" source and why it was decided that it was the correct source. I also want to know why we have to have a correctness police in a hobby that is supposed to be fun.

The purpose of a Club publication is to keep the Club members informed and educated about the Club's activities and the cars of its members. The use of the term "business coupe" to describe a car with a body style that does not have a back seat serves the purpose of communicating with the members. Most people know what it is and if they don't, they can easily find the definition on the Internet. The term "coupe" could lead to confusion with someone not familiar with Ford cars and models, it could mean a coupe with a back seat or without a back seat. Even Ford's sales department was confused about what to call a coupe with a back seat. Some years they called it a "Club Coupe" and other years they called it a "Sedan Coupe".

(Edit) The reference books like the one Mike is writing, need to have the correct terms. It is up to the author to decide which source is the most correct and it should show up in the bibliography. Articles in the magazine that are to be used as reference material, also should use correct terms. So I must agree that there are time when we must insist on "correct" names and terms, but there are times when we must grant some slack to the author. (end Edit)

Mike, I just read the descriptions that the sales department used in sales brochure 7046 dated 4-39. The cars are described as the "New De Luxe Ford V-8" and the "New Ford V-8". The January 1939 Chassis Parts Catalog uses the terms "De Luxe" and "Standard". So which source is "correct" and who determined it and why did they say it is the only correct name?

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Ford/1939_Ford/1939_Ford_Brochure/1939%20Ford-16.html

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 2-7-20 @ 9:47 AM

TonyM    -- 02-07-2020 @ 3:53 PM
  Thanks TomO.

Always a great respect for you and enjoy reading your posts.

I really enjoyed the article about your car. I was there at the Ford Foundation when you were in front working on the Merc.

78-730B

46coupe    -- 02-08-2020 @ 4:55 AM
  I just have a quick question. Regarding the 49-51 Fords, is the model that has 2 doors with a rear side window that has the vertical chrome strip, called a coupe or a 2 door sedan? My first car was a 51 coupe. Since it had a back seat, was it a sedan coupe or a business coupe? It had a long enough trunk. I've been confused about this for quite some time and the car ads don't help much when they call what I think as a 2 door sedan, a coupe.
Thanks for straightening this out.

Kens 36    -- 02-08-2020 @ 7:22 AM
  The 1951 Fords had two coupe styles: Club Coupe and Business Coupe - the Sedan Coupe term was no longer used. The Club Coupe has a large swing-out rear window and the Business Coupe has a large fixed window. The Tudor Sedan had a roll down/up rear window.

Ken

trjford8    -- 02-08-2020 @ 8:25 AM
  Interesting conversation, but I doubt that we are going to change people's mind on terminology. When I was a young guy reading car magazines and especially about Fords the most common terms on '40 Ford coupes were 'business coupe' and "opera coupe" They are still being used today. If 99% of the '40 owners (Kube's statistic) still use the terms I doubt we are going to change any minds. I own both types of '40 coupes and am always asked if I have a "business coupe" or "opera coupe". Like me it's terms they have heard all their lives. Do I bother to correct them? Nope, as I'm having too much fun talking about old Fords with my car friends. I do use the correct terms when talking with a person who is new to the hobby. Hopefully the "newbie" will retain the correct terms and educate others. The "newbies" may be the ones to get his corrected long after we have gone to V-8 Heaven, but then again maybe not. It's not something I worry about that's for sure.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 2-8-20 @ 8:27 AM

deluxe40    -- 02-08-2020 @ 4:35 PM
  46Coupe: Here is a page from the V-8 Album that shows the models under discussion. This page is for the '49 Deluxe series, but the other years and models are the same. The car with the vertical chrome strip in the back window is the Tudor Sedan.

46coupe    -- 02-09-2020 @ 6:59 AM
  Thanks Kens and Deluxe 40. My first car was a business coupe with the solid rear window. I thought that the two door sedan was exactly that, not a coupe, as a lot of ads state. Thanks to all the folks in this club for your help as now I have a 46 sedan coupe. I learned this the first year I was a member and knew I had a coupe, but didn't know which one until I read some comments on this forum.

TomO    -- 02-09-2020 @ 8:38 AM
  Tony, thanks for the compliment on the article. You and Mike are some of the friends that I referred to in the article. It looks like our conversations have stirred up others to comment. I am glad to see them as this is good place to express opinions.

I remember your "Hello" along with many others, when I was working on the car at the museum. Like I said in my article, I should have used the advice that I give and not fall into the trap of jumping to conclusions and replacing parts. If I had used my jumper cables to go directly from the battery to the starter, I would have known that it was either the battery or the starter. My voltmeter would have eliminated the battery as the problem. Of course it is much easier to have 20-20 hindsight, that to have 20-20 vision.

Tom

kirkstad    -- 02-09-2020 @ 12:57 PM
  I agree with TomO. Back in the 60's I had a 40 coupe with no back seat or jumps, I called it a business coupe. I call my 36 with no rumble seat, a business coupe. Now, when I'm on the V8 concourse I always try to use the correct terminology, because there is always someone who wants to let you and others know how knowledgeable they are. In my 35 plus years getting the V8 times, I may have seen a small handful of mistakes and many Jerry would catch and note on a later issue. When I think of my age, I'm 74 and the age of my ford ,84 I can think of a lot of less trivial things to worry about,like who is going to own and preserve my car for the years ahead no matter what it's called.

Frank

kubes40    -- 02-09-2020 @ 5:04 PM
  My gosh Frank, as I approach you in age, I pray I don't give up on learning new things. And, when doing so, pass that knowledge on to others.
Hey, just because someone has thought for many years that one plus one equals three, doesn't make it correct. Passing along misinformation does the next person attempting to learn an injustice.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 2-9-20 @ 5:07 PM

1931 Flamingo    -- 02-10-2020 @ 9:40 AM
  My first 40 coupe back in 69 had the package tray, I just thought of it as a coupe. My latest has the jump seats and I've always thought those with the jump seats were opera coupes. Old habits are hard to change.
Paul in CT

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13583