Topic: Carburetor Spacer With Vacuum Port

carcrazy    -- 02-04-2020 @ 3:43 PM
  Is there a carburetor spacer made of aluminum or iron that can be used on a 1930's or 1940's Ford Flathead V-8 that will provide a steady smooth vacuum signal that can be read by a vacuum gauge? It would have to provide a signal from both barrels of the carburetor to indicate the conditions of all eight cylinders. In the past, I have attempted to take signals on a 1937 V-8 from either the front vacuum port in the intake manifold which samples cylinders #5 and #6 or the rear vacuum port which samples cylinders #7 and #8. Neither of these ports provides a proper signal for a vacuum gauge. Please let me know if you are aware of a source for such a spacer. Thank you.

35ford    -- 02-05-2020 @ 6:57 AM
  The Vacuum Plate used for the Columbia shifting might work as it has a large take off to operate the shifting control . jas

40 Coupe    -- 02-05-2020 @ 7:10 AM
  The original wiper port should provide smooth steady vacuum. No need for additional vacuum plate. Check your reading with another vacuum gauge. Most gauges have a very small orifice in the vacuum line yours may have fallen out or may be lodged in one of the rubber vacuum lines that comes with the gauge.

TomO    -- 02-05-2020 @ 7:11 AM
  You should see a steady vacuum at either the front or rear port with your vacuum gauge. Both ports sample both sides of the carburetor. If you do not see a steady needle, you have engine or carburetor problems.

Tom

flatheadfan    -- 02-13-2020 @ 8:49 AM
  I use a vacuum plate that was commonly used for a lot of accessory connections such as a heater, brake booster and yes for vacuum gauges. They frequently pot up on eBay for $10-15 bucks.

Tom

carcrazy    -- 02-13-2020 @ 9:28 AM
  Thank you flatheadfan. I will be on the lookout for one at the next swap meet.

trjford8    -- 02-13-2020 @ 4:32 PM
  Those plates are out there. I just found one at a swap meet for $5

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13581