Topic: rod bearings and crank grinding

rustedorrotting    -- 01-27-2020 @ 9:10 AM
  i have a flat head ford v8 engine with gasoline diluted oil . Been a mechanic all my life but these flatties will teach you some new tricks. Too much fuel pressure and a blown power valve in the 94 carb and now a rod knock. i am assuming a crank regrind with resizing the rods etc. where can i purchase new bearings without having to refinance the house ( recent quote was 508$ for just rod bearings ) any suggestions on parts and possibly a reputable crank grinder? i live in north western lower Michigan.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-27-2020 @ 11:15 AM
  HI
if I was you,,,, I would order some parts catalog from some V8 FORD PARTS VENDORS,
there are a lot of them out there,
they advertise in the V8 TIMES, HEMMING'S MOTOR NEWS,
they have them for a lot less,

DID you mike the CRANKSHAFT ?
did you locate the exact con rod making the NOISE,?
disconnect one spark plug wire at one time,
if the noise goes away that it the bad connecting rod bearing,
hope this helps 1937RAGTOPMAN

pauls39coupe    -- 01-27-2020 @ 1:29 PM
  What year flathead do you have? As Ragtopman said be sure it is a rod bearing. We have seen fuel pump push rods make the same noise if they bounce on the cam. Take the pump off and remove the push rod, run the engine briefly to see if that is the problem. Even a cracked fan belt can sound like a rod bearing gone bad.
If you need rebuild work, try Northwest Auto in Grand Rapids or Darrel Wood at Precision Engines in Jackson.

rustedorrotting    -- 01-28-2020 @ 7:34 AM
  thanks, i will try who you suggested. the engine is apart and on a engine stand.

rustedorrotting    -- 01-28-2020 @ 7:39 AM
  i diluted the oil with gasoline through a bad power valve and fuel pressure too high from the electric pump, my own stupidity. i don't think i seriously hurt anything, but i want everything right when i put engine back in.

supereal    -- 02-06-2020 @ 10:37 AM
  We do a lot of crank grinding. When we get a "floating" rod job, we recommend that the rods be replaced with the insert type. Many engines have been previously overhauled, and fitting bearings to an undersized crank can be difficult. We grind and polish the rod journals on the crank to a specific available oversize dimension.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13558