Topic: 6 volt regulator

dlpierson    -- 01-25-2020 @ 3:11 PM
  Looking for a good 6 v regulator for my ‘50 Ford. Have bought several. They are new but seem to be not calibrated: I have had the generator checked out a auto electric place and checked in the car by jumping field to arm on gen’r . Note: yes, I polarized regulator
Some history:
1. Engine off and 6.4 v across batt’y terminals
2. Start—6.2 v batt’y. 1.25v armature. .25v fld and dash ammeter needle stationary at midpoint
3.jump fld to arm engine running and 8.0v at batt’y and dash ammeter goes up to about 3/4.
4. Engine off and back to 6.4 v

chiefdave    -- 01-26-2020 @ 7:54 AM
  I have a good regulator that is just taking up space under the hood since I changed to a one wire alternator. Been meaning to remove it. If you're interested let me know.

1931 Flamingo    -- 01-26-2020 @ 8:30 AM
  Take the generator AND the regulator back to where you had the gen ck'd and have them adjust the regulator. FWIW
Paul in CT

dlpierson    -- 01-26-2020 @ 8:43 AM
  Dear Chiefdave,

I would be interested in getting your regulator. Price? Shipping?

D L Pierson in Tucson

TomO    -- 01-26-2020 @ 8:57 AM
  The voltage check needs to be made with engine speed around 1,200 RPM or at about 20mph.

Crank the starter with the ignition OFF for about 20 seconds to slightly discharge the battery. Connect your meter to the BAT terminal, start the engine and slowly increase the engine speed. You should see a slight drop in the voltage when the cutout picks. Keep increasing the engine speed while watching the meter, the voltage should increase up to 7.2 - 7.6 Volts. If it doesn't, take the new regulator back to the store or to the auto electric place and have them adjust it.

The regulator needs to be at operating temperature and checked with an accurate analog meter while being adjusted.

Many times the problem is not with the adjustment, but with corroded cutout contacts. I use a very fine (2,000) diamond file to burnish the points. The regulators have been sitting in warehouses or trailers for years and some surface corrosion will occur.

Tom

sarahcecelia    -- 01-26-2020 @ 9:36 AM
  Do what 1931 Flamingo said, because I seriously doubt the auto parts store will take it back! They frown on electrical returns!!!

Any generator shop " Worth it's salt"can set a regulator up for you! They have the equipment and tools to do those type of things!!!

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 1-26-20 @ 9:40 AM

supereal    -- 01-26-2020 @ 10:13 AM
  Check to be sure that the regulator is firmly grounded. At one time there was a terminal on the unit for the purpose. It was then changed to a brass ferrule in one of the mounting holes, or a brass strip under the base. Without a good ground, regulators have erratic operation, or cease to work at all. Lots of good regulators were junked for this reason. Remove all paint or other substance under the mounting when installing.

chiefdave    -- 01-26-2020 @ 1:38 PM
  $10 shipping plus what you feel is a fair price for the regulator. Was working properly when I switched to an alternator, had generator/carb clearance issues with the Holley 4 bbl.

dlpierson    -- 01-27-2020 @ 8:33 AM
  Chiefdave,

I could pay 20 + 10 shipping by check or PayPal for your 6v regulator. If that’s good please contact me at abpierson@yahoo.com.

dlpierson    -- 02-04-2020 @ 10:56 AM
  Tom,

Can you explain how to adjust the regulator?

TomO    -- 02-04-2020 @ 9:59 PM
  Take it to a shop that does generator repairs. It takes special equipment to adjust it. Some of the older engine analyzers came with a special resister to be used when adjusting the regulator, I have a Weston generator test set that I use to adjust them on the car.

The first step is to accurately set the cut out operating voltage. If it is set too low,your battery will discharge, if it is too high, your generator will not maintain battery charge under all normal driving conditions. Next the charging voltage is set, if it is too high, you can burn out the generator and damage the battery. the last adjustment is the max current the generator can supply, if it is too high, the generator will burn out.

Usse the instructions in my previous post to determine if the regulator needs service.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13555