Topic: car stalls when not under acceleration

henrysdriver    -- 01-20-2020 @ 4:17 PM
  Hey Gang, I just bought a nice 1941 Ford Deluxe and it seems to start and run fine, but while driving, she quits when I take my foot off the gas and use the clutch or put in neutral. Just dies. The only way to keep it "lit" is to put it in neutral and goose the accelerator. This happens at stoplights, stop sign and even slowing for turns. Any ideas? You talent is appreciated more than you know. -Thank You!

carcrazy    -- 01-20-2020 @ 8:03 PM
  Your idle speed may simply be too slow. If this is the case you can simply turn the idle speed screw clockwise a small amount to increase the idle speed. Your fuel level in the carburetor may be set too low. You can remove the top of the carburetor and adjust the float setting to the proper dimension.

henrysdriver    -- 01-21-2020 @ 3:11 PM
  Thank you for taking the time to answer. I appreciate it. I'll start with the idle screw.

sarahcecelia    -- 01-22-2020 @ 8:26 AM
  Your idle mixture adjustments might be im properly adjusted too. When the motor is up to operating temp, turn the mixture screw in ( one at a time)until the idle speed starts to drop off, then back it out about 1/3 of a turn. then do the other one the same way.

When that is completed, do them both again. Also your idle speed should be in the 500 to 550 rpm range, BEFORE these mixture adjustments are done!!!

As prevously stated in another reply, if the idle is too slow, it will stall (die)!!

Regards, Steve Lee

deluxe40    -- 01-22-2020 @ 10:45 AM
  If the idle adjustments don't help, look (and listen) for a vacuum leak - possibly in the windshield wiper lines or switch.

Mr Rogers    -- 01-22-2020 @ 12:49 PM
  What happens after you first start it up, let it idle for 5 minutes, goose it a couple of times, hold the pedal down a bit and back to idle?

henrysdriver    -- 02-04-2020 @ 9:08 AM
  When I do what you have suggested, with the car in neutral ,the car runs takes acceleration well (just like when I'm driving) revs nicely on all cylinders...but when I stop giving it gas, it idles for a second then stalls out. Best example of my problem: when I'm driving along at a nice speed, the car's warmed up, and then come to a stop sign or light, I down shift, she runs great, then a couple of seconds after putting her in neutral, to stop her, she just dies...no coughing or sputtering, just dead...as if I switched off the ignition.

1931 Flamingo    -- 02-04-2020 @ 11:57 AM
  Bring the idle up some more. Do you have a fuel filter installed?? Are you getting a good flow of gas from the pump??Is there slop in the gas pedal to carb linkage??
Paul in CT

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13546