Topic: Painting hubcaps

paxton    -- 06-07-2010 @ 7:21 AM
  I just recieved my 1933 repro hubcaps and note they do not have the blue painted background of the originals. Anyone have a good idea on dropping the blue in around the V/8?

Emeritus    -- 06-07-2010 @ 8:37 AM
  I used a syringe, like a nurse would use to give shots.
fill with paint then eject into the area you want to paint. I used this technique on the fender badges on my 51 Victoria. it takes a little practice but works great once you get the hang of it. needles come in different tip sizes, use the larger #22. the one I used was for giving blood tests. you could also try a fishing worm Blower from wall mart, fishermen use these for injecting air into fishing worms

trjford8    -- 06-07-2010 @ 8:46 PM
  I mask off as much of the hubcap as I can around the area that I need to paint. I then spray the area and let it dry. I then put lacquer thinner on a rag and rub off the paint on the high spots which leaves the paint on the area you want painted.
I've been using the dark blue paint put out by Walmart( Color-Place fast dry enamel).The dark blue matches the original Ford color.

48-710    -- 06-08-2010 @ 5:18 AM
  trjford8,
I have just purchased new repo hubcaps,from Macs, for my '35 which have been painted blue.But after reading this post I'm worried if it's the correct "shade" of blue.Any input welcome.

51f1    -- 06-09-2010 @ 5:40 PM
  I did it like trjford8 on my '51 F-1. Works great. Painted the hood spears and the hood nose molding the same way. I used a dark blue paint I got from Pep Boys. Most any good paint will do. I compared the color I used to that on an old rusty hub cap I got at a car show. I couldn't begin to tell you the name of the paint.

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 6-9-10 @ 5:44 PM

trjford8    -- 06-09-2010 @ 7:59 PM
  48-710, I used the Wal-Mart blue as it is very close to the original Ford blue used on the emblems. As long as it is close you'll be fine. If you are worried about judging I've yet to see a judge use a color chart to check for the exact color.

Johns46coupe    -- 06-09-2010 @ 8:56 PM
  I used sign painters 1-Shot Lettering Enamel which I bought at a local sign painters supple company. They have the same colors in both small cans (1/4 pint) and spray cans (7 oz). I was using Bright Red to pinstripe wheels (brush), paint hubcaps (spray) per trjford8, and do dash accents, bumpers, etc. on my 46. Takes a little practice but works well. I chose a sign painters supply because of more choices in colors.

Hope this helps you,

John

48-710    -- 06-10-2010 @ 5:37 AM
  Richard,John,trjford8,Thanks for the quick replys.I will try your method trjford8 as it seems to be the way to go.I will have trouble finding a Wal-Mart down here in Australia but give them time I'm sure they will find their way down here just like Target,K Mart,The golden arches,KFC,etc,etc.Thanks again. Gary.

kubes40    -- 06-10-2010 @ 6:31 AM
  I agree with John that Sign Painters Paint is the best way to go. It can be thinned so it flows out very nice without leaving brush marks.
It is what the 'pros' use.
It can be shipped directly to you in Australia. Eastwood sells it. You can get them on-line.

1934 Ford    -- 06-10-2010 @ 9:42 AM
  What about painting old license plate numbers? (they're raised numerals) My free hand is not a good as I hoped it would be. Ideas?

johnpoly    -- 06-10-2010 @ 3:26 PM
  One approach to license plates is to spray paint the entire plate is the background color. Let it dry well. Then get or make a narrow roller brush and paint the raised numerals. Be sure you don't soak the roller brush and get drips or overrun. Light touch like a violinist!

ford38v8    -- 06-10-2010 @ 3:44 PM
  34ford, I agree with johnpoly. The key here is to get a smooth nap roller to avoid overlapping the edges of the raised numerals. A thin coat followed after it sets by another thin coat should produce results similar to original.

Alan

1934 Ford    -- 06-10-2010 @ 5:17 PM
  I tried a little 2 1/2" roller and cut it in half to
limit my rolling to the numerals. The roller was a very fine foam rubber.
Results were awful! It fuzzed every numeral and
didn't cover the black base color. I had to repaint the tag when the solvent dulled the base paint.
What are you guys using for a roller and how do you stop the fuzzing?

JebNY    -- 06-10-2010 @ 6:48 PM
  Never tried this but - I heard of doing license plates the opposite way. Paint the whole plate the color of the numbers. Let it dry and paint the plate over with the background. After paint has cured, use fine sandpaper/rubbing compound to buff the top layer of paint off the numbers.

Jim...

1950 F1 Stake

ford38v8    -- 06-10-2010 @ 7:54 PM
  1934ford, It sounds like your problem was that you were using two different types of paint. One type paint will make cottage cheese out of another. I just made that mistake with oil base and water base enamel in my house. Total mess.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1354