Topic: Carb adjustment

Jim    -- 01-16-2020 @ 8:20 AM
  My 59 AB engine seems to be using a lot of fuel and running rich... a few of the plugs get black and sooty . I am using a reproduction Carpenter carb, and it seems to work very well. Are there any adjustments I can make to get the gas mixture leaner. I am in Florida, 25 feet elevation... not sure this change from 840 elevation might have an impact, but that is the only real change in the last six months. Any suggestions would be appreciated. THANKS!

pauls39coupe    -- 01-16-2020 @ 1:45 PM
  We have had very good luck with Dennis Carpenter's carbs right out of the box. They are all test run on a ford flathead before they are shipped.
Still dodo can happen. I would look for a problem with the needle and seat. Dirt may have become lodged there holding the needle open , and allowing excess fuel to flow into the engine. Take the fuel line off the carb and plug it, run the engine till it stalls, then hook the line back up. That should flush any debris out of the seat. Use care, gasoline is dangerous.
If you have an electric fuel pump the pressure may be too great causing the same problem. A fuel pressure regulator may be necessary to get the pressure to around 3 lbs. or less.
I am assuming that the choke butterfly is open all the way and remains in that position with the engine running.
Check the air cleaner to be sure it is clean and flows well. If it an oil bath type be sure the oil level is correct and not too high.
It is possible that the float is leaking and full of gas, which would keep the needle off its seat. Call Carpenter's if you find that to be a problem.
Let us know how you solved the problem.

alanwoodieman    -- 01-16-2020 @ 6:54 PM
  is the engine hard to start the next day? like it is out of gas. after it has been running and is off, take the air cleaner off and look down the throat of the carb for gas fumes which could indicate a bad power valve

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-17-2020 @ 2:48 PM
  HI Jim
I would remove the air cleaner,, and while the engine is running,use a flash light and look down the throat of the carb
and see if it is dripping gas, [ you can use a mirror, ] just be care full
if it does try cleaning the needle and seat, it also could be s stuck float ?
is the gas clean,? have a good fuel filter,
I assume black smoke comes out the back of the exhaust
does the engine run on all 8 cylinders,?
if it is miss firing it will run rich, because of un burnt gases.
do a few check and get back to us
my 2 cents 1937RAGTOPMAN

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 1-19-20 @ 12:04 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13533