Topic: Clutch replacement

Ron3181    -- 01-15-2020 @ 8:50 AM
  looking for opinions on the best way to put a new clutch in my 36, pull the motor or drop the rearend.

kubes40    -- 01-15-2020 @ 9:18 AM
  In my opinion, roll the rear chassis back a few inches. Much easier / quicker than pulling the engine.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

TomO    -- 01-15-2020 @ 10:36 AM
  It depends upon what clutch you have and what else you would like to do.

Just replace the disc and pressure plate on the 9" or 10" clutch, pull the rear end back.

11" clutch or refacing the flywheel, pull the engine.

The 36 clutch was 9" from the factory. If your clutch has been slipping for a while, you most likely will have to reface the flywheel. To remove the flywheel, the pan must be removed and it is much easier to R&R the pan and flywheel with the engine out of the car.

When you reinstall the flywheel, make sure that you have a dial indicator available to check runout. It should be less than .005" at the clutch face.

I like to pull the engine to service the clutch because if I find any problems with the flywheel, I will be ready to remove it and service it. If you see any heat cracks, the flywheel must be replaced. The surface can be ground to remove scores up to .030" deep. If you have scores deeper than that Ford recommended replacing the flywheel.

When you replace the clutch, put wedges under the release arms to remove pressure from the disc. This allows easier alignment and prevents warping of the pressure plate.

Now that you have 2 opinions, you can make your choice.

Tom

kubes40    -- 01-15-2020 @ 5:56 PM
  TomO offered good advice in regard to IF you must remove the flywheel.
That task is a pain to accomplish if the engine remans in the car. It can be done but yech...

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Ron3181    -- 01-16-2020 @ 7:11 AM
  With the Mitch*ll overdrive we decided to pull the engine to replace the clutch and pressure plate. We did not pull the engine all the way out just pulled it up and moved it forward and we were able to do all our work. Thanks again for all the help and advice.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13529