Topic: 1939 Front Wheel Alignment

V8JR    -- 01-14-2020 @ 10:44 PM
  What is the recommended toe setting for the front wheels of a '39 Ford Tudor Sedan - thanks for any help - V8JR

ford38v8    -- 01-14-2020 @ 11:09 PM
  1/16" to 1/8" combined total toe in. Glad to impart simple DIY instructions if you need them.

Alan

V8JR    -- 01-15-2020 @ 9:19 AM
  Alan - Would appreciate any DIY instructions on setting toe - Thanks - V8JR

ford38v8    -- 01-15-2020 @ 1:37 PM
  OK, here you go... Construct a simple gauge to span between both wheels, having a pointer on one end, and a 6" short section of steel tape measure on the other. The spanner must be lower than any part of the undercarriage, having the pointers upright to reach the center of the tire tread at half the tire height from the ground, and able to be easily repositioned from front to back of tires. It needs to have stand alone bases, so that you can move from one side to the other to read the measurements, light weight but sturdy. For use on one car model only, it need not be adjustable, just make it so that the tire width centers will fall about half way into the 6" rule.

With jackstands under spring hangers, spin each tire while holding white chalk to the center of the tread, followed by an ink pen fine line around the tire over the broad chalk line. Disregard the tread pattern itself, as they never spin true.

Set the wheels down full car weight, pointed straight ahead, onto your smooth concrete garage floor with newspaper under the wheels, and bounce the bumper up and down a couple times to ensure an accurate measurement can be obtained.

With your home made gauge, use a flashlight to set the pointer on one tire and read the 6" rule on the other, and compare to the measurement at the rear. The front should be 1/16" to 1/8" narrower stance than the back. Make your adjustment, bounce the bumper again, and take the measurements again to confirm the results.

Alan

51woodie    -- 01-15-2020 @ 4:04 PM
  V8JR Lots of good ideas shown in the above comments. I got frustrated trying to check the toe in on my '46 Coupe using different methods, none of which I was happy with. I had just put a new set of tires on the car, because the tires that were on it when I bought the car were cracked on the sidewalls and the front ones were worn in a "scrubbed" manner. Wanting to make sure, I took the car to the local Ford dealer to do the alignment. The only problem was the specs. I gave the Tech was in inches, so he had to convert to degrees to get the number that would work in the alignment unit. Cost me $100 for the job.

V8JR    -- 01-19-2020 @ 5:38 PM
  Thanks Alan - I'll give your method a go - V8Jr

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13527