Topic: 1936 door latches

dobbr    -- 01-11-2020 @ 10:21 AM
  am trying to remendy a rattle. in doing so have uncovered another part of my car that was scabbed together just to work.. I have disassembled and put back together a driver side door latch. It had the wrong outside handle, and was bent to a degree of shake rattle and roll, If I have problems with this rebuild ,, can you folks direct me to usable door latches for a model 68, 1936 4dr sedan. have searched and searched but i guess in the wrong places. I fear they are few to be had..... thanks dobbr

Mr Rogers    -- 01-11-2020 @ 11:19 AM
  I have a 1936 4 door Hump Back and enjoy detective work looking for parts. But, when you say "latch", do you mean door handle or the latch which holds the door shut?
If you send me a list of wanted parts ... I would help looking.

trjford8    -- 01-11-2020 @ 12:15 PM
  Watch e-Bay and also run a want ad on this site and the Fordbarn (www.fordbarn.com). I believe the right rear latch from a fordor sedan will work on the left front door.

dobbr    -- 01-12-2020 @ 6:49 AM
  Mr Rogers, here is the latch with the new handle I am wishing to use. the old one was crooked and bent however the door latched ... now the door latches but not open from out side. If you blow up the pic there is a beveled spot where the handle inserts ,,, i walered that out so the square handle can rotate more, for the bevel was stopping it from rotating as far as it needed to. The old handle was adapted to work at a angle. The latch is what I may need if this doesnt work, hopefully it will. Or I may shim the latch further from the striker to afford the latch to completely release. ??? I should have left good enough alone...
As far as parts,,, really this is the only one I am messing with. I am calling the car done,, except for paint and that can wait Thanks I would be interested if you find a treasure of parts for future You see I went a bit straying from original Front end is mustang II the rear parts are a Fairlane the motor is aftermarket ,,,, and it flys Am looking forward to the spring Basiclly it is a newer car with a old top..

dobbr    -- 01-12-2020 @ 6:53 AM
  Thanks trj All the usual shops an stores have a bunch of 32-34 38 up stuff I believe you are right on the rear door latch. I thought of that,,, however they seem to be difficult tho come across. Come on spring with swap meetss..... see the reply I sent to MR Rogers. May have it back to working condition, will find out today Thanks again

Mr Rogers    -- 01-12-2020 @ 12:46 PM
  try some of theses sites: cw moss, picclick, 2040-parts, early ford store, macs & chatty classics.

Don Rogers    -- 01-13-2020 @ 4:40 AM
  When you are looking...This left front lock and remote control ass'y fits 1935 and 1936 Fordor Sdn, 5-window coupe and sedan delivery. Here's the item as shown in the Trim book.

dobbr    -- 01-13-2020 @ 6:05 AM
  Mr Don Rogers,, this appears to be the exact set up I installed yesterday (again) .. ecept the extreme lower hang down,, I guess that is the remote entry?? What is this trim book??
Mr Rogers I have used Macs , and obsolete, they have the basics and you have to inspect what you get. Really close!!
Me being a new comer to the site along with learning about my car, Thank you for sending me so much interest.
Now for the rest of the story,,, I reinstalled after doing away with the crooked bevel hole. You can see it in the pic that Don Rogers sent,,, It works just as good as it is supposed to for being 84 years old .. I know the crooked hole served some purpose??
however in the end it is gone off my door latch,, i'm gonna drive it for a while..

Don Rogers    -- 01-13-2020 @ 9:40 AM
  The "extreme lower hang down", as you call it, is the right door locking mechanism. The left front door wouldn't have this attachment.
I have included a cover image of the "Trim" book. I believe that it is reproduced.

dobbr    -- 01-14-2020 @ 5:43 AM
  i see thanks

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13518