Topic: 36 Ford new windshield rubber install

acereske    -- 01-10-2020 @ 8:13 AM
  Have new rubber to replace original on windshield. Any suggestions on how to correctly install would be greatly appreciated. 36 Ford fordor humpback.

Al C.

kubes40    -- 01-10-2020 @ 9:08 AM
  Remove the windshield frame assembly from the car.
Remove ALL of the old weather-strip, being certain the channels are CLEAN.
Install the new rubber at the four corners first. I use glass cleaner to lubricate the rubber.
Soaps will come back to haunt you, glass cleaner will not. Do NOT use silicone sprays.
This is not a very fun task and demands patience. If you have patience, you will get good results.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

trjford8    -- 01-10-2020 @ 3:02 PM
  Mike gives good advice, especially about silicone sprays. They need to kept away from any painted surfaces on a car. Actually, I keep them away from anything on a car.

acereske    -- 01-10-2020 @ 4:05 PM
  Thanks for the input and I have the patience.

Al C.

dobbr    -- 01-11-2020 @ 7:26 AM
  did away withe the crank out wind shield just couldnt get to seal correctly ,,, is now solid and non leaking. small price to pay for being dry

acereske    -- 01-11-2020 @ 11:34 AM
  dobbr: did you remove the entire opening apparatus or just disconnect it and seal the windshield frame to the body? Just wanted to know if I was forced to go that way. Al C.

Al C.

trjford8    -- 01-11-2020 @ 12:10 PM
  I think these windshields leaked right from the factory. It's why you find drains in the inner windshield corners. If the drains are clean and the rubber tubes are routed correctly into the front cowl panels that will usually take care of any leaks inside the car.

dobbr    -- 01-19-2020 @ 7:58 AM
  everything removed ,,, I really didnt want to but when all your new carpet is getting soaked. Now I dont want to take out the push up vent either. But the same deal is happening, I did find the hinges of the vent have a almost 1/4" gap on each side with nothing restricting water, weather etc. cut and split some weatherstripping and crammed it in the spaces. However like trj says I to believe they couldnt help but leak from the factory,,, the windshield and wipers pushed the water down into this vent.
Other option is to not drive them when it rains...... hee hee
Anyone have any ground breaking ideas as to the leaky vent????

Steve Kennedy    -- 01-19-2020 @ 8:55 PM
  As long as you are chasing leaks, and for those of you that have a 5 window cars, those small side window seals are bad too. Have you ever notice 5 window cars with rust below the windows and just above the running boards? The rust is caused by those side windows leaking and they have no where to drain and properly evaporate. Similar problems are probably true for the sedans.

TomO    -- 01-20-2020 @ 7:11 AM
  The 36 vent is different from my 40 vent and I don't know the differences in the operating linkage, but here is how I adjust my cowl vent.

Use a new gasket and clean the grove completely before installing it with weather strip adhesive.
Install the lid and leave the bolts loose and the operating arm at the point just before it is fully closed.
Have an assistant place moderate pressure on the lid so it makes even contact with the gasket.
Tighten the lid and operating arm bolts.
Pull the handle to make sure that the lid is closed and then test for leaks. Readjust if necessary.

Tom

kubes40    -- 01-21-2020 @ 5:56 PM
  Al C.,
You have stated you have the patience... then do yourself a favor and install the rubber seal. You'll be glad (and proud) that you did.
These cars were not prone to leak when new and you are capable of achieving that leak free windshield once again.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13511