Topic: 41 Woody VIN Location

BF41Woody    -- 01-10-2020 @ 12:42 AM
  Good Morning!
I need to have a police officer inspect my “new” Ford to register it, and I am having trouble locating the VIN number to show him.
Any help on where to find this would be appreciated!

CharlieStephens    -- 01-10-2020 @ 2:26 AM
  For a vehicle produced in the United States the only visible VIN (actually just the serial number with added prefixes and suffixes) is on top of the left frame rail between the steering and the front crossmember. There are two other places on top of the left frame rail under the body. You cannot see these other two places without lifting the body. See: http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_serialnumbers.htm Go to the bottom of the page that appears when you go to the site using the short cut I listed. The number may be very faint, be careful you don't damage it when cleaning to read it. Shining a flashlight at a low angle will help to read the numbers. This same number appears on the top of the bell housing for the transmission if it is original for the car but is generally not used as it was common to replace transmissions. This numbers might be helpful if you are trying to decide (or convince someone like the police officer) what the number really says. Have everything ready before you schedule the appointment with the police officer.

Become familiar with the fonts used before the police officer arrives. This is also at the bottom of the page I referenced. The 1 is I and the 6 looks like a lower case b.

Post the number you find (using XXX for the last three numbers if you are concerned) and people will comment on anything unusual before you have the police officer try to read it. If something is not right about the number you want to know it before the DMV uses it on the paperwork. What does your title say?

This is where you will find the original VIN. If for some reason a state DMV has assigned a number it will probably be on a tag attached to a door jam.

You should update your profile with your general location, you can never tell when it will pay off.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 1-10-20 @ 3:07 AM

BF41Woody    -- 01-10-2020 @ 3:41 AM
  Great information Charles. Thank you.
Your attachment raises another question - where is the Patent Data Plate?

42wagon    -- 01-10-2020 @ 4:23 AM
  The patent data plate shows nothing except, well patent numbers. The numbers are generic and apply to all cars manufactured in 41 or maybe several years before that. It is located on the firewall inside the engine compartment slightly to the left of the oil filler. There is nothing on it that would help you during the police officer's inspection. I am assuming you have some sort of title paper and hopefully the numbers on it match the numbers on the car.

You haven't told us where you are located or whether the car is original or been modified. Some people out there might be able to advise you on what to expect if we knew a little more.

Good Luck!

42 Wagon

BF41Woody    -- 01-10-2020 @ 6:21 AM
  OK, I updated my information. This morning is the first time I have used this forum, and this vehicle is the first early V8 that I have had in a very long time.
My 41 is essentially stock with the exception of a stock dressed 8BA
The Patent Plate example I saw would verify paint color. My car is Lochaven Green.
Appears you have a 42 wagon so a couple other questions:
What is a good shop manual to buy? Will I need an additional manual for the 8BA?
Where is a good source to buy key blanks (ignition & other)?
Any good articles on wood care, wax products, etc?
Good source to buy interior rubber floor mats, full car?
Thanks for any assistance!

BF41Woody

CharlieStephens    -- 01-10-2020 @ 10:21 AM
  Disclaimer, I am into '32 Fords although I did own a '37 for a while. I doubt any plate would show body color but you should get a copy of the book that covers the '41. Go to: https://shop.efv8.org/collections/ford-books/products/1941-1948-ford-book-softbound The book is now a "how to" but rather how it should be. Bob Drake has key blanks (https://www.bobdrake.com/FordItem.aspx?Item=91A-3685) but I assume most vendors sell them. You might be able to combine them with other parts you are buying to save shipping. How about a photo of the car?

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 1-10-20 @ 10:22 AM

42wagon    -- 01-10-2020 @ 10:58 AM
  Let me try to answer your questions.
Books
41 t0 48 Ford book available from the club covers the correct details for your vehicle.
39 to 48 Ford Service Manual again available from the club and probably some of the parts vendors.
I'm sure there is a service manual form the 8BA engine but I'm not sure where to look.

Patent Plate as a source for vehicle information.
Once again the patent plate for all years except maybe 48 shows nothing useful unless you are into looking up what patents cover your vehicle. In any event they never showed a paint color for any vehicle.

According to the 41 to 48 Ford book Lochaven Green is a proper color for your vehicle.

Key Blanks and all three floor mats are listed in Macs Auto Parts catalog. They may or may not be in stock.

Hope this helps.
42 Wagon

42wagon    -- 01-10-2020 @ 11:33 AM
  Looking through your request for information again I see I didn't answer the most important question for a person with a wood bodied vehicle. Supplies to take care of the wood.

I like to think of a station wagon as a boat that is out of the water and upside down. To that end forget the DIY stores, you want a real marine supply store that deals in products to finish wood boats. If you are going to refinish the wood you want Marine Spar Varnish.

If I had to choose one book on the subject it would be: Brightwork - The Art Of Finishing Wood by Rebecca J. Wittman.

Hope this helps and welcome to the wooden car fraternity.

42 Wagon

BF41Woody    -- 01-10-2020 @ 1:54 PM
  42 Wagon and Charlie, Thanks for the information and your time!

BF41Woody

trjford8    -- 01-10-2020 @ 2:55 PM
  On your '41 woody the most likely spot for the ID#(VIN) is on top of the driver's side frame rail right nest to the front crossmember. In my experience it is the most common place.

39 Ken    -- 01-11-2020 @ 4:52 AM
  Nice '41 Woody! I hope you bought the boat as well
as it is a great combination. If you haven't already
done so, you should consider joining the National
Woody Club. I assume that you have joined the
Early Ford V8 Club since your'e here.
NWC info at the following:
https://woodies.clubexpress.com/

TomO    -- 01-11-2020 @ 9:08 AM
  Nice car. I like the interior accessories in the 4th photo. It looks like they enjoy the car more than you do.

Tom

trjford8    -- 01-11-2020 @ 9:24 AM
  Those kids will remember that for a lifetime. The only thing missing is a dog sitting next to them.

BF41Woody    -- 01-12-2020 @ 11:54 AM
  Trjfordv8 - you got it!
Starts part way at the end of the crossmember and goes back.
Darn horns are low on the inner fender there making it hard to clean off, but with minor damage to wrists, hands, etc got it done.
Will call the inspection squad tomorrow.
Thanks to all who offered suggestions!

BF41Woody

bigvince    -- 02-26-2020 @ 9:17 AM
  The original patent plate if it is on the car shows one thing - where the car was assembled. There is a small box in the upper right hand corner and that will have an abbreviation of the plant. My 48 has LB for Long Beach. VIN Number should be on frame rail. Woodie assembly number is on the firewall (# used at Iron Mountain for production). This will not correspond with the VIN.

trjford8    -- 02-27-2020 @ 7:27 AM
  Another great book for a woody owner is "Famous Ford Woodies" by Lorin Sorensen. It can be purchased at the Early Ford V-8 Foundation or on line at; www.fordv8foundation.org.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13509