Topic: Tires

servidave    -- 01-06-2020 @ 7:31 PM
  Recently purchased "47 Super deluxe. Currently has Coker wide whitewalls that I intend to replace in the spring. As far as I know - wheels are original, will tubeless tires fit on these wheels? Or do I have to have tubes? What about radials ? And finally, is the another source for wide whitewalls besides Coker? My local tire dealer doesn't know of any other source and he thinks tubeless will work but he's not 100 per cent sure. Don't want to buy new tires and then find out they don't work. Any input much appreciated -new to the old car scene.

engine    -- 01-07-2020 @ 7:23 AM
  I have been running Diamond Back tires on my truck for 9 years and 5 years on my Woodie. Both are radials and tubeless. I haven’t had any problems with either. I do have the spare for the Woodie a bias tire with a tube as it has to fit in the wheel cover on the tailgate. That particular rim would not hold air with the radial that’s why it is the spare. I like the radials myself over the bias tire. That’s why they have them on modern cars also. I did a 4800 mile trip to Glacier National Park and didn’t have any problems. That’s my opinion.

joe b    -- 01-07-2020 @ 8:12 AM
  I have had Coker whitewalls on my '41 Coupe for 5 years. My tire shop installer suggested tubes account the old wheels are not as fine. Better safe than sorry. I would say that installing tubes is your choice. Opinions vary. You might consider no tubes and if you have trouble buy tubes and have them installed. I also suggest radials unless you have a concourse show car. The Ford runs straight and true with no drifting. And the ride is outstanding.
Other tire companies:
Lucas Tires: www.lucasclassictires.com Universal Tires: www.universaltire.com

51woodie    -- 01-07-2020 @ 10:06 AM
  Dave I got the tires for my '46 Super Deluxe from Universal in Hershey PA. I took my clean rims and had them install 6:00-16 Firestone wide whitewalls with tubes. The installers were very careful to ensure there was no dirt or stickers inside the tires before mounting, as either can cause a tube to fail after a short period of travel. As far as bias, tube, tubeless and radial, I went with bias/tube. I can't compare the bias vs radial, as I have never had radials on the '46. I don't have any driveability issues with how the '46 steers because to me, that is how it was back in the day and part of the experience of driving an old car. My 2019 Taurus drives like it is on rails, but it is nowhere near the fun of tooling around in the '46.

MG    -- 01-07-2020 @ 10:46 AM
  Radials + Tubes...

CharlieStephens    -- 01-07-2020 @ 10:48 AM
  You might go over to HAMB (https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-photoshop-thread-to-end-all-photoshop-threads.300531/page-812#post-13364516) and ask if they could photoshop a set of blackballs on the car, that would be my first choice.

Charlie Stephens

MG    -- 01-07-2020 @ 1:13 PM
  Oops!...BLACKWALL Radials + Tubes...Thanks Charlie

51woodie    -- 01-07-2020 @ 3:33 PM
  As far as I know, whitewalls were not factory options. Wanting to keep my 46 original (the PO had www on it) I photoed black walls, and the car just didn’t look good. That is why I did www’s.

JT Ford    -- 01-08-2020 @ 10:34 AM
  Diamond Back do NOT recommend tubes in their radial tires. I run DB on one car and Coker on the other with no tubes.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13504