Topic: 37 Touring Sedan Radio

TuscanS    -- 01-06-2020 @ 9:05 AM
  I bought a restored model F-1440 over a year ago and thought I would install it this afternoon. All was well until I realised I have a open car speaker and not the header mount speaker I require...........So could anybody point me towards a vintage radio restoration shop in the US, I have contacted CMR Antique Car Radios where I bought the unit or does anybody have one they wish to sell, just trying to widen the possibility net.

Here's hoping
TuscanS

1940 Tom    -- 01-07-2020 @ 9:46 AM
  Good Morning--

I'm not sure where you reside.

But if OK with you, you might give Bob's Radio & Television a try. They are a Southern California firm, located in Oceano, near Pismo Beach.

They restored my 1940 radio, and a friend of mine used them to restore the radio for his 1961 Pontiac Bonneville.

They do nice, thorough work.

Phone # - (805) 489-8200.

Check out their website (very informative) - www.bobsradio.com.

V8 Times also has an ad for Classic Auto Electric - www.classicautoelectric.com. They are in Kansas, if that is closer to where you are.

Good Luck with the restoration.

Tom

TuscanS    -- 01-07-2020 @ 12:16 PM
  Hi Tom
Thanks for the information I will check these chaps out, and hey ho I might get lucky. Apologies for the confusion I live in the UK but have good friends on Long Island NY where I ship all my parts too, saves a fortune on overseas postage.

Regards
TuscanS

1940 Tom    -- 01-07-2020 @ 2:46 PM
  Good Tuesday Evening (I think??)

Thanks for the response. Glad I could help with the radio.

I grew up in Westbury, New York, on Long Island, and lived there for 4 years until 1958. My Dad was in the military. He came home from the base one night, and asked us "how would you like to go to California?" My Mom, my brother, and I said "No!" He said "we're going in 30 days". I have lived in California ever since - currently reside in the San Francisco Bay Area.

If these 2 firms can't assist you with the radio, check back on the Forum. One of my fellow members can help you, I'm sure.

Tom

TuscanS    -- 01-08-2020 @ 12:15 PM
  Hi Tom
Well I came to work in the US in 96, rented a place in Copiague and worked for a firm in Farmingdale. After a few years I moved to Brentwood and was lucky enough to have a circle of really good friends to this day, I try and visit the Island at least once a year, I love the place. Roll the dice forward and some 25 years later I returned and purchased a 1937 Touring Sedan from Cutchogue, life eh.

Regards
Chris

1940 Tom    -- 01-08-2020 @ 6:38 PM
  Hi Chris--
I remember where Farmingdale is.
Yes - truly amazing about life then and now. Glad you still enjoy the beauty of Long Island.
Best wishes on the radio. Let me know if I can help you any further.
Tom

fenbach    -- 01-09-2020 @ 9:37 PM
  hi chris,

you could mount that speaker on the firewall, same as in an open car. or you could remove it from the "can" and mount it in the header. any modern speaker will do as well. just measure the distance between the mounting holes in the header. or drill new holes if necessary. the wiring to the speaker isn't intuitive. and you definitely want to be careful. one of the sockets in the radio carries 200+ volts DC. the corresponding pin isn't connected to anything outside the radio, and the voltage won't kill you, but it will surely get your attention. one pin is 6 volts DC for the electromagnet in the [old] speaker, the other is the hot speaker wire itself. it carries a small AC voltage. the braided metal cord shield is the ground or cold wire for the speaker.
post again or send me a PM if you have questions. bob [not bob from bob's radios]

This message was edited by fenbach on 1-9-20 @ 9:51 PM

TuscanS    -- 01-10-2020 @ 2:54 PM
  Cheers Bob
Something worth considering. I will come back to you via PM, I have a few feelers out there so I might get lucky.

Regards
Chris

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13501