Topic: Mitch*ll overdrive 1936 Sedan

Ron3181    -- 01-05-2020 @ 6:04 AM
  my 1936 has a Mitch*ll overdrive using the cable mounted on the left side of the steering column, on the dash. When I have passengers in the rear sent something in binding up either the cable or the arm the cable is attached to at the overdrive unit. When this occurs it causes the unit to slip as if the clutch is slipping and it is very hard the push in or pull out the overdrive cable. NO weight in the rear seat no problem with slipping. Any ideals on what is causing this problem.

kubes40    -- 01-05-2020 @ 6:50 AM
  I would suggest you place the car up on stands placed beneath the axles and have folks pile in the car while you carefully watch what is happening beneath the car.
This sounds as if it should be quite easy to diagnose.
My guess is the cable is not routed very well and when the car "sinks" a bit, it (cable) is becoming bound.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

1934 Ford    -- 01-05-2020 @ 10:43 AM
  As the extra weight in the rear seat when this happened, it felt like the clutch was slipping.
Does the overdrive have clutch of it's own or does it shift like a transmission?
I felt bad about being the heavy load, but I got into a 1936 Packard for the days tour and loved it.
Ron, I have some tall jack stands if you need them. Kubes idea sounds good to me.

1934 Ford's since 1972

supereal    -- 01-05-2020 @ 1:18 PM
  I have a Ryan overdrive in my '47 convertible. I use a power takeoff control cable meant for trucks to shift it. It is a heavy duty cable that resists binding as the rear axle move up and own during driving with back seat passengers, or over uneven roads. The sharpest bend is where the cable leaves the firewall to reach back to the OD, and occasional lubrication helps to make shifting smooth.

40cpe    -- 01-05-2020 @ 3:40 PM
  I'm just raising a possibility of the engine clutch slipping and the binding cable just happening under the same conditions. The added weight of the additional passengers coupled with the higher gear ratio of the overdrive COULD tax a worn (or mis-adjusted) engine clutch to the point of slipping.

From what I understand the Mitch*ll shifts by synchronizer instead of clutches, so I don't think the two are related.

37don    -- 01-06-2020 @ 9:55 AM
  Check the rear seat tray for interference with the overdrive lever on the box. When you shift into overdrive the lever will hit the rear seat pan when you have people in the rear seat. There is no clutch in the mMitch*ll. Regards Don.

Ron3181    -- 01-08-2020 @ 6:37 AM
  37don was right, the rear seat tray with weight on it came right down on the overdrive lever, causing it to bind up. We fixed the problem and I am good to go. Thanks for all the help from everybody could not do it without the help on the V-8 forum.Now I will be working on the fuel gauge.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13499